Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Running issues? HELP ME!!!!!!!!

Alright....I need serious help. here goes.

I have a 87 Ranger with a 2.3L. The engine runs to 2700, then drops to about 2500, then revs back up. This does this no matter if its sitting still,or at WOT. I have the followng items replaced/tested:

fuel lift pump
EGR valve
fuel pressure regulator
Fuel pressure (40 PSI)
spark plugs
timing
timing modulator

The engine has about 10K-12K on it. The engine does smell to be burning rich.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
cams maybe??? I know with a high performance cam, the ecu will "hunt" for an idle spot but idk about a stock cam, if it will do it if the ecu is screwed.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Do the basics first: check for vacuum leaks, vacuum can cause a lot of issues:egr, fuel pressure fluctuations, idle speed motor problems.

Fellro

Staff member
How about TPS? Since it hits at a certain rpm, seems it may be related to that fact somehow... Another thing to consider is the cat maybe plugging.

Fellro

Staff member
Typically, there really is no adjustment to the TPS as far as midway through the range is concerned. The only way to test is by scan tool or ohm meter. As you would turn the tps, it would show an open in the circuit.

Storm

Replace the TPS.. I had a 2.3L Turbocharge in an 89 Mustang back in the day.. TPS always caused problems for me.. I changed mine 4 times..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts