Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Running Boards

Michigan
Thinkin bout gettin either the steps or running boards for the truck. Whats everyones opinion about the best quality, usability, and looking running board or step?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Westin SS Nerf Bars, look awesome. Last forever. Wont rott out, or get the factory fiberglass ones.
IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
'smiliedoh'

Ground clearance! Ground clearance! Ground clearance!

If your truck sat higher, and had some man sized tires, steps wont get in the way of the ground.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If your truck sat higher, and had some man sized tires, steps wont get in the way of the ground.
With a wheelbase as long as mine, high centering is ALWAYS something I have to watch out for. Adding steps into the equation would make it that much worse. Though I suppose if they're tucked up THAT close to the cab like yours then they might not cause problems. though it seems like if they're that close then they aren't very functional-- the idea is for them to be a little lower so you can use them to help yourself into the cab.

Michigan
yea im likein the ones u have on ur truck chris. Id like to get those and new bed cap rails here soon

Michigan
the red and white one, when u look at that plastic piece it looks really far forward? Hows it when u open the door? Not to worried about ground clearance lol.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Hey its up to u I tried the bars Go for the Stainless . They rust at welds but hold up OK . . But for u would fit the ticket

The running boards on my 94 r stainless deezee have been 3 truck couple 100000 miles and lots of abuse salt and couple wrecks .

If you r willing to pay for STAINLESS they will last .

Pros of bars

Closer to body
Tube less likely to bend
cons

about only place can stand on em is on pad area (sucks when washing )

Running boards

Pros

can stand anywhere to wash or whatever easily

They do have one that dont hang below frame

Cons

Because r thin easier to bend . I have yet to bend any but always first time .

And cost

But keeping a open mind on my end . I'd say the tube r tougher looking . and boards r for cruisers

Good luck Bronc Miss the bronco?

Michigan
Thanks for the info guys! Im lookin at some prices here online rite now.

Miss the bronco? It was a nice truck but to me it was nothing like the one i have now. I really like the new truck! Power difference between the bronco and the 350 is amazing

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yea I loved the 97 Crew cab I had . With the 5 spd I get 22MPG on interstate

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I suppose if they're tucked up THAT close to the cab like yours then they might not cause problems. though it seems like if they're that close then they aren't very functional-- the idea is for them to be a little lower so you can use them to help yourself into the cab.

You dont wheel anyway lol, they are at the right hight, its just somewhere to stand other then on the rocker.

Mike, the pad is right where you need it when you open the door. If it was further back or to the center you wouldnt step on it.

Michigan
Yea I loved the 97 Crew cab I had . With the 5 spd I get 22MPG on interstate

niceee which i got that mileage. I can get around 16 on the highway if i keep it at 70 or less. I like the throttle to much in it to actually get good mileage... I can get rid of a quarter tank real quickly lol But thats why i got a probe now and gets 29 mpg while the truck sits in the barn all pretty lol
Mike, the pad is right where you need it when you open the door. If it was further back or to the center you wouldnt step on it.

Gooddeal, yea just thought id asked but i figured once u open the door it should would be right where it needs to be.

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
i run into rust problems with running boards the road salt and dirt gets behind them where ya cant wash it out. so if your runin in that kinda stuff id use the steps instead

Michigan
yea but if everything goes as planned, the truck wont see an ounce of salt...

My 95 bronco had those steps on it (well one) but it was rusted and i jumped on it and it broke off LOL Just had to take the brackets off and never put any new ones on it.

Only reason why im wanting running boards is because.... This weekend it was nice so i took it to a bon fire party. The Weekend before i washed out the vynal floors and used tire shine to make it shinny (Bad idea)... Well we decided to go meet some people at the local bar/bowling alley and a girl went to get into the truck, slipped on the very slippery floors and hurt herself. So i felt bad for the rest of the nite (kinda) Floors are still nice and shinny tho ;)

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have a set of those for my bronk too, mine are DeeZee, I dont exactly like em, but I got for free, and they would cover up my gangster side exhaust I made lol. Yea tire shine is for ur tires mike. Not in the truck lol. I just had my steps off for paint, and its been 3-4 years since I put em on, and I plow with the truck, and no rust inside. Bolts still brand new.(I SUPER ANTISEIZE EVERYTHING)

Michigan
hey made the floors look nice and shinny and i never had any problems of falling out LMAO!!!!

Wow thats one clean bronco!

Mike, your truck is one of the reasons I got a 9th gen. truck. I liked it that much that I decided not to go with a 7th gen. which I've always liked. I vote you leave your truck as it is, it's gorgeous, and badass. Nothing says "Grandpa truck" like a set of running boards. In fact I took the set of DeeZee's that the previous owner had on mine and junked them. My neighbor (who loves trucks) told me that it made it look like an "old man's truck". Good luck with whatever you decide. Jim

My neighbor (who loves trucks) told me that it made it look like an "old man's truck". Good luck with whatever you decide. Jim

I totally agree. If you can get it in, leave it alone.

Mine when I bought it:
IMG_2600.jpg

Without the running boards:
IMG_4832.jpg

58bffc9a.jpg

Ford Truck Articles