Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

running boards,remove or keep?

my truck had these running boards on when i got it,at first i was going to remove them,but now i may leave them on,not a 4x4 so i dont use them to get in but looks like they saved the paint from getting chipped from rocks,i see alot of these on trucks like mine, were they a dealer option or after market?
166.jpg
smilieFordlogo

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'd say probably aftermarket. My Suburban had running boards and I took them off... the body was rotting out where they attached because it held water and snow and mud... and after some years, even the toughest running boards start to look pretty bad anyway. I decided to get rid of them.

It's all personal opinion. Because as you say, they do keep the paint on the lower door nice. I'd get some mudflaps for the front and ditch the running boards but that's just me.

BTW, that's a very sharp looking truck you have.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That truck looks amazing..... Do you mind if I asked where you found such a gem? There's no way that thing looks that good after driving in the salt for all those years.

I agree with Matt. It comes down to personal taste - my vote would be to remove them.

Ryan

I was thinking of mud flaps,the truck has never seen snow,I dont even drive it in the rain if i can help it lol,the paint on the under side and where the boards are bolted is like new,no rust yet but im thinking the truck may look better without them,finding a truck in minnesota this nice was by luck,the guy i got it from never drove it in the winter since it was new,for a 94 with 87000 miles on it, it was pure luck

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I took the step tubes off my Ranger as soon as it warmed up enough I didn't mind wrenching outside, and haven't regretted it yet.

Like your truck, it sits low enough I didn't use them to get in...but they'd catch snow, ice and mud, then transfer it to my pants when I climbed in/out. I got kinda tired of brushing crud off my work pants every time it rained or snowed.

If you take them off you could send them to me lol smilietease

funny you should ask this question, I just put some similar boards on my rig, can't say I much cared for the drilling part, but the old ones were getting ratty and I wanted something to help keep the side clean, and since mine is a one ton 4x4, I do need the step. My vote, don't go a changin'! course my truck ain't as pretty smilieFordlogo

Attachments

• photo (12).JPG
Last edited:
funny you should ask this question, I just put some similar boards on my rig, can't say I much cared for the drilling part, but the old ones were getting ratty and I wanted something to help keep the side clean, and since mine is a one ton 4x4, I do need the step. My vote, don't go a changin'! course my truck ain't as pretty smilieFordlogo

they actually look decent on yours, but yours is a 1 ton 4x4 that sits up much higher than a lil 2wd. who needs help gettin into a 2wd, ya know?

there are some cases that they look ok on 2wd, but usually ruin the looks

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Those board r what kept the truck nice. The flaps would have to be 2" off road to protect as much .

I have 3 trucks and and the ones that survived the PA salt the best had boards, My 94 I had boards since new and its cab is super solid and clean .

My 95 no rocker left and it had 3 set of tubes on it.

This question is same as the car forums . Someone buys a spotless car takes flaps off and wonders why bottom is trash after driving a year with out .

Its up to you If drive city streets all time go for it .

primetime

sawmill slave
I used to be a take em off kinda guy. Took them off of my 87 F-150 and 86 F-250, both 4x4s. Then when I bought an F-250 2wd that had them I thought, huh, those look pretty nice. I even had plans to swap them for full length boards.

I`d keep them. They look nice on your truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts