Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Runnin like a Harley

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I really doubt that's your problem, I fought my 454 for 2 days to get it to fire off the first time. tons of popping through carb even had it on fire once, it was in the dizzy somewhere, fiddle with it enough to get it to light off, then I could tune it after that. ohm out your spark plug wires, check your cap, and also check the center button on the cap and make sure there isn't any corrosion on the rotor. sometimes where the rotor touches the cap it can arc there, and cause a built up of carbon, it should be either silverish colored or brass colors, if its darker gray, its time for a new cap and rotor.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Duraspark, different from early '70s to late '70s? I'm finding two different part #s for the 351W.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
carb swap yet?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Might help to try it?

Sent from my mudwhistle via Lemmiwinks.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Well, not carb related, yet.

Figured out its an ignition issue thus far as I have a 175.5ci V4... gonna dig a lil deeper tomorrow and shoot for a 351ci V8....

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Runnin like a Harley
Slow and like crap? :D

Sorry, I just can't believe nobody took any shots at Harleys with a thread title like that! :D

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Yep, that's half of a 351ci V8...

Damn this thing SCREAMS!!!!!

Few things to button up, check the timing, tighten up a couple exhaust bolts, get all the gauges working.... then the real fun begins...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I missed your post before my comment about the harley. I thought you were talking about a 175 ci Harley, hence my confusion. :D

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Might be short lived, major overheating issue to sort out. Boiled over pretty bad and the gauge didn't even give warning, hope its an air pocket in the system and not a flow problem like I'm thinking. Its a brand new mechanical gauge too as the old one had a buggered up wire.

Also have an oil pressure issue, started out with 20lbs but the longer it ran the less pressure I had. Had some old oil in the line so that could be a culprit, gonna pull the line off the back of the gauge and see if I can get it to clear out. If that doesn't solve the issue I'm gonna have to probably pull it back out and figure out why the pump ain't pumping...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Doesn't have a lot of miles, had 50k when it was purchased.

Stat was brand new, but I know that doesn't mean anything, still doesn't explain lack of a reading on the gauge...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts