Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

run-on starter

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a '87 250 with approx. 100k miles on the clock. You guys were recommended for your expertise. How about this problem... Twice now when the ignition has been turned off the starter begins to spin. Doesn't want to engage, just spins. Wev'e had to cycle through off/on about 6-7 times before the starter ceases to spin when ign. turned off. I searched the archive last night and didn't get anywhere. Have any of you had this problem?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
That sounds to me like your Ign switch is going out it may have a bunch of junk built up in there and could be jumping that would be the easiest and cheapest place to start.
It could also be a relay or a wire that's been rubbed bare I really don't believe it could be the starter, have you checked all the wires leading from the starting all the way in to the firewall..

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Welcome, your starter solinoid mabe sticking, also check the ignition switch and also the rod in the steering colum mabe sticking holding the ignition switch to the start position.

Do you have a remote starter switch or a jumper wire?

Try running it from the solenoid on the fender so you know that power to the starter is being released thru the solenoid.

Sounds like bad starter relay/solenoid to me

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts