Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Road trip supply list.....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
X2 on this... Mini electric fuel pump saved my butt more than once.

Are those difficult to hook up?

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Snacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Looks like everything else has been covered.

Definitely some snacks, but I do need to be careful not to get too out of hand with the junk.

I'm thinking:
-sunflower seeds
-beef jerky
-coffee
-trail mix
-

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Think they'd give me a hard time checking these things in on the airplane?:

-antifreeze
-box cutters
-jumper cables
-duct tape
-garmin
-tranny fluid

Hehe....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Trail mix with m&m's .

That's not too healthy Mark. :) My coffee's are pretty much sugar free.

Fellro

Staff member
Important thing about electric pumps is to keep them low, if you make it high, they don't tend to pull so well. No mounting at the tank, but just ahead of and below works well. I have put them int he location of the mechanical with decent success.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Think they'd give me a hard time checking these things in on the airplane?:

-antifreeze
-box cutters
-jumper cables
-duct tape
-garmin
-tranny fluid

Hehe....

Box em up and see if you can just ship them to where you are buying the truck . :)

worst case scenario with the cig lighter you can always just buy a power converter if you dont already have one with 2 110 volt outlets. i got one from walmart its a black and decker and it has 2 hand screws on the back and 2 sets of cables that come with it. one has a cig lighter plug on it and the other has alligator clamps on it for direct power from the battery. they cost about 40 bucks or so and can be very easily modified to be wired directly into the fuse box. simple take some speaker wire and wrap around each hand screw. then run one to an ignition switch power supply(so when truck is off you wont have to worry about un-needed power drain) and simply ground the other wire to a metal panel within the truck. that way should you need to plug something in that requires a 110 outlet its ready to go simply turn the key on and push the button and instant 110 power from a 12 volt battery.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
worst case scenario with the cig lighter you can always just buy a power converter if you dont already have one with 2 110 volt outlets. i got one from walmart its a black and decker and it has 2 hand screws on the back and 2 sets of cables that come with it. one has a cig lighter plug on it and the other has alligator clamps on it for direct power from the battery. they cost about 40 bucks or so and can be very easily modified to be wired directly into the fuse box. simple take some speaker wire and wrap around each hand screw. then run one to an ignition switch power supply(so when truck is off you wont have to worry about un-needed power drain) and simply ground the other wire to a metal panel within the truck. that way should you need to plug something in that requires a 110 outlet its ready to go simply turn the key on and push the button and instant 110 power from a 12 volt battery.

Where is the ignition switch power supply? Easy to find?

anything that runs when the key is on will work. my power converter is actually wired up through the radio fuse. fuse panel is under the dash on drivers side. it has a bunch of the "old school" glass tube fuses in it. jus look for the one that says "radio" on it and pull the fuse out. take your speaker wire and twist your "positive" wire and then wrap it around one of the metal pieces that hold your radio fuse in place. return fuse to its location and then run your ground wire to a metal panel. after you"re done that hook the wires up to the power converter and turn the key to the on position and press the button on the power converter. if done properly you should hear a "beep" from the converter and then a green light should come on letting you know that its receiving power. the converter also has a "safety feature" as well. should your battery "drop" below i believe its 10 volts you will hear a long continuous beep. the down side to wiring the converter this way is that if its on but the truck isnt running and you decide to start the truck you will have to turn it back on as when you start the truck the power to the radio is temporally cut to help provide max juice for starting. also single strand wire works great too for this setup.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
anything that runs when the key is on will work. my power converter is actually wired up through the radio fuse. fuse panel is under the dash on drivers side. it has a bunch of the "old school" glass tube fuses in it. jus look for the one that says "radio" on it and pull the fuse out. take your speaker wire and twist your "positive" wire and then wrap it around one of the metal pieces that hold your radio fuse in place. return fuse to its location and then run your ground wire to a metal panel. after you"re done that hook the wires up to the power converter and turn the key to the on position and press the button on the power converter. if done properly you should hear a "beep" from the converter and then a green light should come on letting you know that its receiving power. the converter also has a "safety feature" as well. should your battery "drop" below i believe its 10 volts you will hear a long continuous beep. the down side to wiring the converter this way is that if its on but the truck isnt running and you decide to start the truck you will have to turn it back on as when you start the truck the power to the radio is temporally cut to help provide max juice for starting. also single strand wire works great too for this setup.

Ahhhhh....perfect....that sounds like something even I can do. We'll see in just about 2 days whether the cig lighter adapter is hooked up and working. I couldn't imagine it not after all the dough the guy put in that rig, but this is a great way to fix while on the road.

Thanks!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken , how about a way of you posting your daily progress, so we can track you.

Mark, I was thinking about that......I'll start a new thread the day I leave and use my phone on the road to post. I don't have as much confidence in this rig as I did my 77 going to get IT, but that was because everything in the 77 was built brand new from the ground up.....should be fine.

My 70 Bump made it to Michigan from Maine no problem and absolutely nothing was done to it mechanically since 1970 other than normal maintenance.....so this rig should be fine.

Hey do you or anyone know if the alternator belt on my 77 is the same as the one in this 79?

I have a few extra belts the PO left in the ammo box in my engine compartment that are still brand new that I wouldn't mind taking with me just in case.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ken...do NOT wrap a wire around a fuse like that...very bad idea. You will wind up with an intermittent contact that will allow heat buildup and possibly melting or a fire. Those inverters can easily draw 15-20 amps depending on what they are powering. The cigarette lighter can generally supply up to 20A for short cycles, 15A for a more continuous load.
If you are going to hard wire one in, then it would be wisest to use a relay with a separate fused supply directly from the battery...do NOT use those damn Scotch Locks.
Another thing to keep in mind with inverters is that the output is a modified square wave designed to emulate a sine wave...some electronic devices will not work or will create a pile of internal heat from using them....you can get true sine wave units for a few $$ more.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken...do NOT wrap a wire around a fuse like that...very bad idea. You will wind up with an intermittent contact that will allow heat buildup and possibly melting or a fire. Those inverters can easily draw 15-20 amps depending on what they are powering. The cigarette lighter can generally supply up to 20A for short cycles, 15A for a more continuous load.
If you are going to hard wire one in, then it would be wisest to use a relay with a separate fused supply directly from the battery...do NOT use those damn Scotch Locks.
Another thing to keep in mind with inverters is that the output is a modified square wave designed to emulate a sine wave...some electronic devices will not work or will create a pile of internal heat from using them....you can get true sine wave units for a few $$ more.

There's a lot of scary language in there.....I trust you Duncan....I'm checking with the owner now to make sure the cig lighter works then it's a mute point.....if not, I'll need to get with you on what I need for at least cell phone and garmin juice....I have some options in my head for portable stuff....but will make sure first.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts