Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Reprogramming an EEC-IV Computer

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I got to thinking about the ZF swap again... I've been wanting to swap in a manual transmission for a while, and I know most of what it entails. One of the things is that my computer will throw non-CE light codes (codes that don't actually light up the CE light) that are basically transmission fault codes. Now I could get a computer from a donor truck but it might prove difficult to find a 351/ZF MAF truck :headbang: So then I just ignore the codes? Nope! I just remembered today that I'll get an instant fail on my smog if the truck throws ANY codes during the test...

So I was wondering... Ever heard of a place where I could send my computer and have it reprogrammed to a stock Ford program from a 351/ZF MAF truck? Is that even possible?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've flirted with the idea of dropping a manual trans into a Crown Vic for quite a while now.

While researching that, I remember coming across the name of a company that would burn custom chips/tuners/?? (I'm not knowledgeable about car computers) to make OBD2 Vics happy without seeing any inputs from the automatic.

Can't remember the name, (Blue Oval something, maybe?) and I need to leave for work, but I'll see if I can dig it up for you later.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
why dont you call superchip or a place like that does custom chips and ask them.. they do all kinds of stuff with our EEC's like remove speed limiter and do costume tune i think they can do that also... i maybe wrong but hey it doesnt hurt to chek ;)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I've already got my Superchip so perhaps they can reflash it and delete the manual trans... I didn't know such a thing was possible. I'll explore that route.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Umm how will they know your throwin a code? They actually ck obd1 codes in Cali, F that. Move down here to NJ, pre 96 can have ck engine on and still pass if emissions are in, or like me, i inspect my own stuff and im not failing it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Can't remember the name, (Blue Oval something, maybe?) and I need to leave for work, but I'll see if I can dig it up for you later.

blueovalchips.com is the name I was trying to remember.

Haven't used 'em, don't even know if they do stuff back to those computers as the name came up in reference to an OBD2 vehicle.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Computers are around $100 bucks at AZ, Orielly,...!!!

Just give them a computer from what ever you can pick up at the PnP!!!

So I got to thinking about the ZF swap again... I've been wanting to swap in a manual transmission for a while, and I know most of what it entails. One of the things is that my computer will throw non-CE light codes (codes that don't actually light up the CE light) that are basically transmission fault codes. Now I could get a computer from a donor truck but it might prove difficult to find a 351/ZF MAF truck :headbang: So then I just ignore the codes? Nope! I just remembered today that I'll get an instant fail on my smog if the truck throws ANY codes during the test...

So I was wondering... Ever heard of a place where I could send my computer and have it reprogrammed to a stock Ford program from a 351/ZF MAF truck? Is that even possible?

I have to ask, how does CA inspection know if your truck is throwing a non-CE code..

Im not sure how different MA and CA inspections are, but i know here, anything 95 and below (anything without OBD-II) doesnt require emission testing..

Do you know if Parsons runs the CA inspections computers?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I have to ask, how does CA inspection know if your truck is throwing a non-CE code..

Im not sure how different MA and CA inspections are, but i know here, anything 95 and below (anything without OBD-II) doesnt require emission testing..

Do you know if Parsons runs the CA inspections computers?
They would know because they pull the codes when they test it. Even though the CE doesn't light up it'll still show when the codes are pulled. In Cali anything after about '75 has to be tested every two years.

I don't know what Parsons is.

Now I could get a computer from a donor truck but it might prove difficult to find a 351/ZF MAF truck :headbang:

what truck could you get a computer from? F150's with a 5.8L weren't offered with a manual transmission, only the E4OD. will a 5.0L MT computer work since they were MAF 94 and up? you could also try a F250 5.8L manual computer but i don't think they were MAF.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
They would know because they pull the codes when they test it. Even though the CE doesn't light up it'll still show when the codes are pulled. In Cali anything after about '75 has to be tested every two years. .

and thats why i dont plan on moving to Calismilieneenar NH is the same way as EVERYONE else, 95 and down they dont give a crap if the check engine light is on, only 96 and newer.:nana:

as for making a new computer in a sense, i would call superchips, bullydog, and the site Ian suggested. ask around

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
NJ is the same, OBD1 is awsome. I cant believe they pull codes in pre 96 trucks, what a load of crap. Well thats what u clowns get for being all wierd and stuff out there. HAHAHAHAHA. Oh yea, no cats, no emissions, no ck engine, no problems.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
To be honest I'm not positive that they do pull codes on pre-96 trucks... Perhaps that don't... I just assumed since they're so strict out here.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Chris,

Since we are talking CA emissions, you need to find a mechanic in your area who is also a state certified emissions inspector and talk to him about the possibilities/legalities of doing this type of computer swap in a CA vehicle. He will be able to tell you if it is possible and maybe direct you toward someone who knows how to do it.

I really do not understand why you would want to go to the trouble to change from an auto to a manual transmission in the first place.

FYI for all who do not live in CA, CA invented emissions requirements for cars and many industries in the 1960's. More & more states are adopting CA rules. In addition, since 2005 automotive manufactures only make vehicles that will pass CA emissions as it is cheaper than producing to different emissions standards.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts