Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Replacing Hangers, Shackles, and Leaf Springs

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
you bet. The quick and dirty version is:

1: unbolt 6 main bolts that you can visibly see inside the bed that are attached to the frame.
2: unscrew the 3 screws around each gas tank fill nozzle.
3: unclip the 2 wire harnesses for the tail lights.
4: loosen and move the hose clamps that hold the gas tank filler arms to the bottom of the bed.

That's it. Lift up and set it in the grass.

Ryan

where are they

4: loosen and move the hose clamps that hold the gas tank filler arms to the bottom of the bed.
do those just pop out as you pick up? do you lift a little then pry them free?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The wire harnesses are mounted at the center of the very very back of the bed.

The hose clamps are hard to explain, but they're VERY simple. You just slide them down the tube a few inches once they're loose and they're off the hanger.

Ryan

The wire harnesses are mounted at the center of the very very back of the bed.

The hose clamps are hard to explain, but they're VERY simple. You just slide them down the tube a few inches once they're loose and they're off the hanger.

Ryan
sweet, thanks - coming to springfield anytime soon?

oh this does not look fun.. this is what ill be doing soon... i only have to replace the foward most drivers hanger/shackle.. and the springs, prob gettin 2 from lmc.. 120 plus shipping.. where did u get ur springs?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard - www.broncograveyard.com

They just got some springs in stock, so now would be good timing.

Everybody's not like me, but I had a lot of fun in the driveway doing this all day. It was nice getting my nose out from an accounting textbook for a while. The only hang-up I had was that the front hanger bolt pattern didn't quite match up, so I modified the hanger on the drill press.

Ryan

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
We might be having a Florida meet soon. So far it involves Ryans truck, rust repair, paint and Erica with her boots.

You did let her know that was one of the conditions, didn't you Ryan?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
For the ladies of the forum...I carried a truck bed..

Props to Erica for helping work on the truck. Trista wasn't much help...do you have any single, female friends in Maine?

Although I am able to figure from the rest of your post that you're quoting a movie, I've never seen it. So I'll ignore it.

which springs do i need? 1389lbs per spring or 1700lbs per spring?.. mines a 4x4

you sure there the same? Ive heard that the springs for 2x4 and 4x4 are different, but both the springs they have listed are for 4X4

Nice job. I need to replace mine, too. I've already done the fronts because the former owner ran an 8'6" plow...caused the front end components to take a real beating. I just need to find the time for the rears. I also saw that you used what looked to be the old u-bolts. Is that true? That's not recommended since all u-bolts tend to stretch/weaken over time. They're not too expensive at the local parts store. You might want to consider that the next time you have that bed off. Keep wrenching!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA

1: unbolt 6 main bolts that you can visibly see inside the bed that are attached to the frame.
2: unscrew the 3 screws around each gas tank fill nozzle.

That's it. Lift up and set it in the grass.

Ryan

Glad it came off easy for ya. I've pulled apart several and never had bed be less than a day project. Pa rust is about like yours.
Good job.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
oh this does not look fun.. this is what ill be doing soon... i only have to replace the foward most drivers hanger/shackle.. and the springs, prob gettin 2 from lmc.. 120 plus shipping.. where did u get ur springs?

Check locally man . My wreckers has new ones for $119 no shipping.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Hey how much did new springs raise the back ?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts