Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Renting a trailer...

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Rant warning! :wavey:

Here I am planning out my 7 hour move to Daytona... I have to get my stuff down there, so the first logical way is renting a trailer to pull behind my Explorer. (Not taking the truck down there until Christmas, if I even decide to bring it...) One major flaw in this plan - UHaul doesn't rent to Explorers!!!! Just because my factory tires has issues I can't tow your trailers?!?!?!?!

They suggest I rent a van instead. So let's do some math here. Rent a van and grab a trailer for pulling the Explorer behind the van. Brings my total to $400 + $80 = $480 for 3 days of use. :headbang: A whopping $230 over just renting the trailer, which is outrageous by itself!

College is expensive and I haven't even started! :guns:

/rant

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Nab a different rig...simple as that. Or rent one of their big***** trucks and load the sploder in it and pile the rest of your junk around it.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
F-SD doesn't have a hitch... or rear bumper for that matter. We'll see if I can arrange a jy run soon.

They rent out full sized pickups for an okay price... I might just do that and a transport. Then I can pile my stuff in the explorer and truck bed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Borrow any vehicle you can think of with a hitch to simply grab the trailer and bring it home.

Side note...I would be interested in knowing why that policy is still active if you have aftermarket tires.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
^^^Borrow any vehicle you can think of with a hitch to simply grab the trailer and bring it home.

Side note...I would be interested in knowing why that policy is still active if you have aftermarket tires.

Not sure about the policy... but I do have access to a mini van with a hitch! :D

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i doubt it too.. it shouldnt matter what type of tires are on the exploder stock.. it should matter whats on it now...

and see me and ann are gonna run into this too... the plan was to rent a big trailer to pull behind the flareside.... well now no truck.. and exploder wont pull much with the mono leaf springs out back already sagging.. and that poor wil 4.0......

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Rent a full box truck or pay someone to move you or borrow a vehicle. Hell, dunno what the Toyota dealerships are doing around you, but the ones here are now allowing rent vehicles off the lot...one of their ads is actually, need to haul a ton, rent a TON-dra.

Edit...looks like TN does have the program, but can't find one within Nashville vicinity.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hey, I've seen sailboats being pulled by Miatas ok......you can make this happen!

He's got no in his heart JR

I put a trailer hitch on a Geo Metro Convertible....ever seen one of these? It's a 3 banger 1.1 liter lawn mower engine and I pulled a small uhaul trailer with that POS! smilieFordlogo

Long time ago before I was all growed up and now have some decent rigs to do whatever the heck I want! smilieFordlogo

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I put a trailer hitch on a Geo Metro Convertible....ever seen one of these? It's a 3 banger 1.1 liter lawn mower engine and I pulled a small uhaul trailer with that POS! smilieFordlogo

Long time ago before I was all growed up and now have some decent rigs to do whatever the heck I want! smilieFordlogo

I bet that convertible looked stylin' with the trailer on back. smilietease

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Are the factory tires still on your Explorer ?

Uhaul says it's not even safety-related. They just want to avoid future lawsuits. Listed below is the quote from their website.

"U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. "

Now you could shove the receiver from the Geo into the receiver of your truck and carry it around for a spare.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I call bull chit on it being an 'unusual circumstance'...there have been a few times where I've tried renting a tow dolly and they refused because the vehicle exceeded their parameters. I've been told 'no' more often by U-Haul than I have 'yes'. Now I just tell them what they want to hear...well haven't used them recently, but the last cpouple of cases were trying to retrieve the 87 Bronco and the 73 waggy.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts