Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

? removing cab mounts

Good day all, I am finally starting my build on the 79 f150 4x4 s/c and i need to completely remove and junk the body. [cab,box,front clip] I is there any easy way to remove the cab mounts? As I don't usually get into "rust buckets" I have never done this before. I need to replace the cab with a better one from one of my 2wd trucks. One thing I do know is they are probably seized up tight. Thanks for your help!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would have to agree with Randy, I did mine a couple of years ago on a rust free truck and didn't have torches.
It took several sawzall blades, a cold chisel and prybar...and the better part of the day if I recall.

Fellro

Staff member
I try to get them the right way if it is one I intend to save, other wise the ol heat wrench does the trick..

Fellro

Staff member
Breaker bar, cheater pipe as needed and unbolt them. If they are too rusted up, then you have to hack them. The front ones are typically more trouble than the rears. You can warm up the nut and try to turn them that way, but keep in mind the nut is inside a sheet metal cage. You have to heat slowly and not melt the sheet metal. If you want to save the rubber mounts, just carefully smoke off the bolt heads by cutting crosswise to the bolt. Don't max the heat, go just enough to get the head to heat and cut.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I tried Rogers' approach and the issue I had was that they just spun on the rubber as the bond broke.

Fellro

Staff member
That is when the heat wrench comes out... I have had them go both ways.

Hey guys I got those mounts off with out too much trouble, as there was no point in saving them any ways as they were completely done.
This is what I did,
I jacked up the cab to give a little room between the cab and the upper rubber, used a knife to cut the bushing out , cleaned out 35 years of dirt and rust [the inner shells were rusted into nothing] used my saws-all to cut the bolt, all done within an hour. But what I did find is the frame mounts are thin with enlarged holes where the rubber meets the steel. I got 2 options, see what the other cab mounts are like on the donor truck, and do the swap or use the big washers from Jeffs that you weld on.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts