Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

remote keyless entry

Blade

Backwoods boy

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Think you've got it backwards- you NEED two working keys to program a new key. Meaning if you have only the two that came with the car and lose one, you're SOL.

nahh they can always program more if needed.. least with the older ones all they did was plug in their scan tools and had the computers flash the chips on the keys.. least that was the way they explained it to me.. but they also said they couldnt program more than 2.. never said why they couldnt though... i do know thats how they do the fobs though.. the get the car talking to them with their scan tools.. i took auto shop in hs and reprogrammed the fobs on my buick that way... but they never talked about the pats stuff then...

but dunno you could be right on the keys.. i just know my neighbor lost one of hers and they programed her a new one without her having to buy a whole new set..

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
and nothing. I was later told Ford disables that when the engine is running for the drivers safety. So innovative techno thugs can't transmit a signal and enter your vehicle when uninvited.

HMMMM...... my 05 F 150 let me have the truck running and still lock and unlock with the remote? wonder If I was just lucky or if it wasnt working right. I always did this i actually never took the key out of the truck honestly

Yep- same in my trucks. I haven't tried it on the Marquis though, so I'll give it a whirl (with the window down, just in case).

Think you've got it backwards- you NEED two working keys to program a new key. Meaning if you have only the two that came with the car and lose one, you're SOL.

After that experience, Dad had four keys programmed for that '00 Focus, and also has four to his '07.

My '09 Ranger locks and unlocks with the clicker, when the engine is running- doors open or closed, fob inside or outside the truck, BTW.

I'm still not sold on the convenience of using these things, BTW- I understand how to unlock the door with it when my hands are full...but I can't manage to get the door open without emptying out one hand. At which point, I might as well have just used a key anyway. THIS is where I cannot manage to follow the logic on these devices.

I believe you need one working key, not two. Thing is, the ECM programs the key, not the other way around like on the older models. But it has to be able to "read" a working key.

emtzach

i get paid to do this
^ yup two keys to program a third yourself other wise you need to go into the gem via the ford scanner takes like twenty minutes just to access then about ten to program. It wipes the codes then installs the same on all three or up to four if you want. thats why its about a hundred to get a new key. 30 for the key and a half hour labor.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Is there even a key hole on the passenger side?

As a single person it might not be an issue bit start dating or get married and the lady will surely appreciate not having to wait in the weather while you vet in and get set and then finally unlock the passenger door

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I'll tell you what I DO think would be really useful, that I'm pretty sure this truck doesn't have (but I haven't bothered to check)...being able to unlock all (both) doors from the driver's side, with the key.

That is a pretty neat feature to have. My friend has it on her Acura, and I thought "why would you want/need that?" Well.. I found out how handy it is when it's freezing cold outside and you don't have to wait for her to unlock the door so you can get in. :rofl:

As far as remote keyless entry goes, I can take it or leave it. I don't see it as a necessity, more like something else to tear up eventually. But, it does have it's advantages.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Is there even a key hole on the passenger side?

As a single person it might not be an issue bit start dating or get married and the lady will surely appreciate not having to wait in the weather while you vet in and get set and then finally unlock the passenger door

i dunno on the trucks.. but the stangs they dont on the passenger side.. least my 04 doesnt..

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Rangers have keyholes on both doors.

Focuses only do if you the base model, with manual locks.

Not sure on anything else.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I use mine every time I get in. I only have the truck key and the keyless on the ring. so it doesn't bother me in the pocket and I have never been a fan of like 30 keys hanging from my ignition. little too much pressure on the switch. may just be me though.

I am gonna bet in less than a year you are using it and not even realizing it! LOL

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I use mine every time I get in. I only have the truck key and the keyless on the ring. so it doesn't bother me in the pocket and I have never been a fan of like 30 keys hanging from my ignition. little too much pressure on the switch. may just be me though.
Not just you...I just got sick of pulling three rings of keys out to find the one I needed, or finding the keys I needed were still sitting on my bureau at home- I've got a key to each pickup, key to the cap on my '97, house key, and a small LED flashlight that's WAY too useful to stop carrying. More than I like hanging from the switch, but not by so much I'm going to do anything...

I am gonna bet in less than a year you are using it and not even realizing it! LOL

Doubt it- came off the keyring last night. 'Course, I haven't driven that truck since then, so hard to say whether I'll miss it or not.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Not just you...I just got sick of pulling three rings of keys out to find the one I needed, or finding the keys I needed were still sitting on my bureau at home- I've got a key to each pickup, key to the cap on my '97, house key, and a small LED flashlight that's WAY too useful to stop carrying. More than I like hanging from the switch, but not by so much I'm going to do anything...

Doubt it- came off the keyring last night. 'Course, I haven't driven that truck since then, so hard to say whether I'll miss it or not.

HAHA I have a seperate key ring on my belt loop that I ALWAYS have on me. Same here, I have dads house keys, light, piston from my first R/C, tailer keys at work, toolbox keys, house keys, shed keys at dads, and just realized I don't know where 3 of them on there go! LOL

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If/when I move to three regularly driven vehicles (from two) I'll isolate the keys to each vehicle and separate out the house keys...but for now, this works best.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Just a random thought, on our '02 F-350, we have NEVER used the key to unlock the truck. Only the remote keyless entry. :beer:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts