Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Regapping plugs

I just purchased a new MSD StreetFire 48,000V coil. Wondering what I should regap the spark plugs to? I have Grenatali MPG+ wires and E3 Diamond Fire Spark Plugs.

Is it too late to take the plugs back? :/
Autolite 24's or 25's dude. ;)

And did you get the MSD Street Fire? :/
It's not supposed to not live long. ;)

The Blaster's reputation is much better
but still not top-drawer for longevity. :/

Over on FSB they say .055" ...I say...
Start at .055" and let 'em open the
gap themselves, then replace 'em. ;)

I started at .050" and a Blue-Streak.

The parade pisser in AZ

Is it too late to take the plugs back? :/
Autolite 24's or 25's dude. ;)

And did you get the MSD Street Fire? :/
It's not supposed to not live long. ;)

The Blaster's reputation is much better
but still not top-drawer for longevity. :/

Over on FSB they say .055" ...I say...
Start at .055" and let 'em open the
gap themselves, then replace 'em. ;)

I started at .050" and a Blue-Streak.

The parade pisser in AZ
I have to disagree with the Autolites and suggest Motorcrafts, from what i've read the E3s are snake oil. I do agree with the .055 gap and the question why street fire. Oh, and hopefully I have time to get the plug wires, plugs, and cap and rotor in this weekend.

Get the good stuff.
HPIM1100.jpg

HPIM1096.jpg

And for the sake of picture whoring, here's the coil and the new wire installed:
HPIM1106.jpg

Last edited:
Have you used E3 before? I have read nothing but good stuff about them and asked a few members who has used E3 with good results.
Some people swear by stuff like that, such as CAIs and K&N filters, I like to go with the sure bet though. Motorcraft parts are well priced, quality, ans designed for our trucks. Is there things that are better out there? In some cases yes, for example MSD ignition parts.

http://green.autoblog.com/2007/10/21/dont-count-on-e3-spark-plugs-to-save-you-money-on-gas/
http://www.wrenchheads.net/2009/12/22/e3-spark-plugs-my-experience/
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/ford-ranger/T5TJAJIGBPEL40H8A

Thread closed! All I asked was for gapping info... not attacks on my choices. Thank you for the info on the gaps. bye

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I know I want to upgrade my 300 I6 EFI but don't want to spend a small fortune. I was thinking Taylor 8mm wires Accel Coil, I have always used Motorcraft plugs but wonder if the platinum plugs would be better suited? Dist cap and rotor I'm not to sure about.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I just edited my previous post with links, my prices were a bit off but in total about the same.

Edit: Note that the plug wires can be ordered in Blue, Black, or Red.

The prices are not bad, being close on prices are good enough for me.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts