Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

recommended oil/timing

What is the recommended oil for a 77 f-150 351m? Also what kind of wrench do you guys use to adjust your timing? I had trouble getting a wrench in there, there's not much room and once I do get one in there how do you adjust it by ear?

SC
bearing clearance plays a big factor in oil choice but 10w40 would be pretty common.

A 1/2" wrench works or you can buy one of those offset wrenches from the spin rack at your local parts store. They are cheap...7-8 bucks or so.

Dont try to time your motor by ear. Its doubtful you can tell the difference in 1* on a stock motor. If its off much one way or the other your pistons will hate you. Its been a while since Ive messed with a 351m/400 but I think around 10* initial is about right.

I use one like this

I have one for Fords and One for GM's

distributor_wrench.jpg

SC
^^^ yeah thats the wrench I was talking about

SC
Dennis, Im bookmarking this link.....Thanks

btw, I still havent forgotten about those scans. The scanner is on the fritz. The gf is working on it now.

EDIT: hold up...
Dennis,
why wouldnt it be 7-71-R10 (man) or 7-72-R11(auto)?

Last edited:
Last edited:
well actually it is not stock, I just put on an Edelbrock 4 barrel 600cfm carb and a Wieand intake, I don't know much about the intake since I got it at a junkyard, but it looks fairly new and made for performance. Anyway that's why I need to advance the timing, I can tell that its a little off I could just get them to set it when I get it inspected next month, but that's a long time to wait and I am driving it to work every day. It' an automatic trans.

SC
Any goof ball can set timing but you need a timing light.

Loosen the clamp bolt and twist the distributor while pointing the light at the balancer. Sometimes it helps to put a little paint dot at the desired degree so you can see it better. The older balancers are usually covered in crud so the numbers are hard to read. The timing shouldnt change from stock unless youve swapped cams. The intake and carb do not effect valve timing.

Oil viscosity is also somewhat dependent upon the climate you're in... a hotter climate can get away with a heavier rating, while the colder areas will probably wanna use a thinner viscosity. Some shadetree knowledge there for ya lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts