Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rebuilt steering box leak

Hello to all,

I'm brand new to this forum and just want to say that I look forward to hearing what everyone's got to say. I'm posting because I recently replaced my power steering system (pump, hoses, gear box) and today heard this awful howling coming from the pump. I took a look (27 degrees in the garage) and found that my gear box leaks from the 'cover plate' on top where the adjustment screw sits. Not much, but enough to lose quite a bit of fluid over the last several months (4 or 5). I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that this isn't in the design. My question is can I repair this (remove cover and change out the gasket?) or do I need yet another box? I appreciate any knowledge that you can share. My truck's a 97 (old body style) F250 HD Crew, 460. Thanks.

blacksnapon

Staff member
My experience has been, when they start to leak there, its a harbinger of problems to come. Most generally, something is going wrong internally causing the leak.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Did your rebuilt box happen to come with a warranty? If so, I'd try to get it replaced. And welcome aboard!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome to the site! I'm with the other guys-- it's most likely leaking due to a problem with the box, rather than a faulty seal. I'd try to get it warrantied if possible.

Hey and how bout some pics of that truck?! Sounds awesome YelloThumbUp

Michigan
a little gooping of the RTV and she will be ready to rip!

On a serious note... Get a different box...

Thanks for the replies and advice. I kinda knew that a new box was in my future. So, what my plan of attack will be is to go with what I should have gotten in the first place...AGR gearbox and Super pump. I'll take the advice to see if I can get a warrantied box now, but barring that, I'll keep this guy filled up over the winter and purchase the AGR setup for a spring install. I've been sorely disappointed with the steering system ever since I got the truck and this is my 'excuse' I guess to upgrade. I wish that I had just upgraded in the first place. Oh well, give me more of an excuse to wrench on her...

Here's a pic...I've since added custom steps and removed the plow hitch. She's got a K&N intake, Headman Headers, true dual exhaust, 2 1/2 pipes, Flowmasters, stainless tips, Jet chip, 130 amp alt, Line-x, and tonneau cover. I want to get ARBs and do a rear disc conversion. In time...smilieFordlogo

Attachments

• F250_DriverAngle_Small.JPG

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Thanks for the replies and advice. I kinda knew that a new box was in my future. So, what my plan of attack will be is to go with what I should have gotten in the first place...AGR gearbox and Super pump. I'll take the advice to see if I can get a warrantied box now, but barring that, I'll keep this guy filled up over the winter and purchase the AGR setup for a spring install. I've been sorely disappointed with the steering system ever since I got the truck and this is my 'excuse' I guess to upgrade. I wish that I had just upgraded in the first place. Oh well, give me more of an excuse to wrench on her...

Here's a pic...I've since added custom steps and removed the plow hitch. She's got a K&N intake, Headman Headers, true dual exhaust, 2 1/2 pipes, Flowmasters, stainless tips, Jet chip, 130 amp alt, Line-x, and tonneau cover. I want to get ARBs and do a rear disc conversion. In time...smilieFordlogo

Me thinks the crew cabs r taking over Yes

Check into a saginaw Power steering conversion or get one offevan with same motor as yours. You'll be happy with it They love big tires and cost less than super pump. As for box I got one off eBay with warrenty for a friend its held up to 36" tires well .

But Let us know where you find best prices.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Where has the other red crew cab been?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts