Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear Suspension: Need a parts list ....

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Has anyone done a complete overhaul of the rear spring hangers on a 2WD?

I'm pretty sure I'll be needing bushings and bolts, but have no idea beyond that. Anything I'm missing here, or is it really that simple?

Just glancing a the Advance Auto Parts site, looks like I need:

6 - Moog SP340 bushings for 2WD, Rear Suspension
6 - Replacment bolts (someone wanna help me out with sizes/grades?)

Are all six bushings (2 on each spring and one on top of each shackle) the same on the 2WD trucks? Or is there even a bushing in the top of the shackle?

I just figure it's about time to replace 17 year old bushings with 160,000 miles on them. Might even do the factory shocks while I'm at it.

I welcome any suggestions on aftermarket bushings if there's a real benefit to upgrade. This is a street truck and never sees off-road use at all. The factory bushings have lasted this long, so I don't see the real need to put anything better than factory on it.

Black150

California Chapter member
So Cal
Are you replacing the spring hangers too? If you're just replacing bushings you might be able to re-use the bolts. If you can get them off no problem then they can be cleaned up and used again.

The two spring eye bushings at each end of the leaf spring should be the same, but the shackle bushing might be different. The Advance website should give you part numbers.

If you are using new hardware go grade 8.

all i know is,it's a royal pain the a-- to get the factory bushings out!i replaced mine with energy supension poly bushings.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Are you replacing the spring hangers too? If you're just replacing bushings you might be able to re-use the bolts. If you can get them off no problem then they can be cleaned up and used again.

The two spring eye bushings at each end of the leaf spring should be the same, but the shackle bushing might be different. The Advance website should give you part numbers.

If you are using new hardware go grade 8.

I suspect the bolts have some wear too. I see a good bit of powdery rust at both ends of the springs. That's a foregone conclusion there's wear there. I just wanted to make sure I had everything I needed when I started so I wouldn't have to interrupt the real work to go get parts again.

You'll note I listed the part numbers by Moog, but the site doesn't say how many of each are needed. Good to know they're both the same on each end of the spring, though. Now to just make sure on the shackle bushing ....

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I redid the hangers on mine just a few months ago.

You'll need 2 front hangers, 2 back hangers, and a grinder of some kind to grind off the giant rivets.

Get new shackles while you are at it - they are cheap.

Unless you have a giant rivet machine, you'll need some grade 8 bolts all the way around. broncograveyard has a set of pre-sized bolts for you to use at a great price compared to our local hardware stores.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts