Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear Pinion Seal

Hey guys, my rear pinion seal is leaking and I need to replace it. Kragen/Autozone/Napa have like 5 listed for the truck. I have a 9inch rear end and I dont know what size goes with it. Is this something I am going to have to take off and take in? Or is there a certain diameter that came stock on the 9inch rear ends?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey guys, my rear pinion seal is leaking and I need to replace it. Kragen/Autozone/Napa have like 5 listed for the truck. I have a 9inch rear end and I dont know what size goes with it. Is this something I am going to have to take off and take in? Or is there a certain diameter that came stock on the 9inch rear ends?
It would help if you had the tag off the diff. Its usually attached by one of the diff bolts.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
You could also take it off and match it up. Ive found that thats the best way to do it so ya dont have to make 10 trips cause they keep givin ya the wrong one.

4 Possible axles

WDM Non- Locking
WDM - Locking

WFE - NON-Locking
WFE- Lodking

can you check the spline count - 28 or 31 ?

what is the axle on the door tag ?

All he has to do is provide an answer to my questions.

Last edited:
WFE
WDM

driving pinion oil seal D4AZ-4676-A

13 should be 2.75
x is adjustable steering column.

Check the end of the axles. if the splines run straight to the end from the machined area then they are 31.
If there is a taper first then they are 28

The Ford number I provided above works on both application

Last edited:
R/b - E0tz-4676-b

They should be ABLE TO CROSS REFERENCE FROM THe FORD #

Last edited:
1979LubricationProducts2.jpg

Hypoid gear oil Weight = 90

Buy 4 qts

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts