Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear Pinion Seal Dana 60

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
So, I'm in the middle of replacing my rear pinion seal and I get the old one out and when I get home with a new one, it's a little different. My old one had a lip that matched the outside housing diameter and the new one doesn't. I was able to get it in alright. All of the illustrations that show a pinion seal for a Dana 60 at parts stores has the same image that match the new one. The only number on the old seal I could find on the inside of the seal was CR 528955. I couldn't cross match that with anything, so I'm not sure if that's even the number or not. The seals must have changed over the years.

Post the build of material number on your axle housing so I can check it out

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
So, I'm in the middle of replacing my rear pinion seal and I get the old one out and when I get home with a new one, it's a little different. My old one had a lip that matched the outside housing diameter and the new one doesn't. I was able to get it in alright. All of the illustrations that show a pinion seal for a Dana 60 at parts stores has the same image that match the new one. The only number on the old seal I could find on the inside of the seal was CR 528955. I couldn't cross match that with anything, so I'm not sure if that's even the number or not. The seals must have changed over the years.
CR = Chicago Rawhide / CR528955 is the ID number parts stores go by.

Do you have a Dana 60? Or a Dana 61? Both were available in these trucks .

With/without Limited Slip? = The pinion seal is specific to each type. So, there are three possible pinion seals.

Dennis, there's a Ford to Manufacturer & Manufacturer to Ford part number cross reference in the parts catalog.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Post the build of material number on your axle housing so I can check it out

Where would that be???

CR = Chicago Rawhide / CR528955 is the ID number parts stores go by.

Do you have a Dana 60? Or a Dana 61? Both were available in these trucks .

With/without Limited Slip? = The pinion seal is specific to each type. So, there are three possible pinion seals.

Dennis, there's a Ford to Manufacturer & Manufacturer to Ford part number cross reference in the parts catalog.

Dana 60 with 4.10

Here is the old seal and new seal together. The inside rubber on the old seal was tore our when I tried to remove it, but you can see the difference.

Outside view:
IMG_3188.jpg

Inside view:
IMG_3189.jpg

Side view new seal:
IMG_3191.jpg

side view old seal:
IMG_3190.jpg

OK, so I found that CR528955 cross references to 18891 which is the new seal I purchased. I guess not that it matters, but does the exact seal CR528955 even exist anymore?

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Original Ford part number: D0TZ4676A / Dana part number: 35725

E7UZ4676A (replaced: D0TZ4676A, E0TZ4676A, E5TZ4676C, F8UZ4676A) .. Dana 60 Pinion Seal / Available from Ford.

I looked in three Manufacturer part number to Ford part number cross reference catalogs that cover 1948/2001. Could not find any cross reference for that CR number.

Try the original Dana part number at your local autoparts store.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Bill, would the Ford seal look like the CR seal or the other Napa seal in the pic?

That's interesting that the CR number would not cross to Ford. I have no idea how old that seal was.

Dana number 35725 cross references to 18891 at Napa which is the seal I have. So, the seal must have been completely redesigned from the CR seal. Well at least I know I have the correct seal. It just took me off guard the differences.

Thanks.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Bill, would the Ford seal look like the CR seal or the other Napa seal in the pic?
I haven't the foggiest idea what the seals look like. I haven't looked at any of these seals in 13 years...since I retired in 1997.

scan0015.jpg

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I don't need the rear axle ID number, there's only one pinion seal listed for Bucks application.

'Course, the original part number has been updated more than once...see post #6.

And, the Ford ID tag may be missing by now, since it was under one a the bolts that retains the inspection cover to the housing.

The Dana ID tag is bolted to the housing, to the left of the inspection cover (2WD-to the right 4WD) and has a seven or eight digit ID number stamped on it.

Like these examples: 603010-1 or 603010-11 / The Dana ID tag is 2" x 1/2" and is retained by two bolts. These tags are usually in place since they are not on the inspection cover.

Last edited:

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Well, went out and looked and no tags whatsoever on the axle. They must have gotten tore off by the PO. I did change out the inspection cover, but I know there was no tag under any bolts.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1973 and later Dana 60's have that bolted on tag on the housing.

Since people don't need to remove it (like the one on the inspection cover that clueless people usually forget to re-install), it still should be there...unless the rear axle is from an earlier model.

There are 2 different designs I've come across, most are like the one you are holding. Make sure you don't have any play in the pinion, in, out, up, and down. Check your vent tube, make sure it isn't plugged up.

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
Did a little research this morning and found that C/R was absorbed by SKF a number a of years ago.The C/R number is replaced by the SKF number you now have.Should be good to go.The SKF site is pretty cool as they have a lot of cross refrence on Dana axles,and other automotive parts.Hope this helps.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts