Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear main seal

Hey guys my buddy asked me to help him with his F-150 with a 302 which is having a leak in the Rear Main seal. Im assuming a 2 piece seal is fine for it but i see you can get either one so im not entirely sure. we were also wondering what else a guy should get.
so my questions are:
should we get a one piece or a 2 piece seal?
Should we replace any thing else like the oil pump while we have the pan out?

The one piece may be easier to put on? your call

I dnt know if I'd put in a new pump if that one is fine, but you could clean up the oil pump screen while you're down there.

Ok we have access to a lift and probably a transmission jack so the one pice seems more apealing to me too. ill be sure we clean the strainer for sure plus make sure theirs no sludge deposits in the pan.

sounds good

primetime

sawmill slave
What year is the truck? It makes a difference. If it has a two piece seal, then yes, you pull the oil pan, which also means you can check the pump and the screen. If it is a one piece seal then you either remove the engine or the trans, and also the flywheel to get at the seal. I also don`t think you have a choice as to which one you want to use. You either have one or the other. I do believe that the cranks will interchange, but I know that the blocks are different.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
What year is the truck? It makes a difference. If it has a two piece seal, then yes, you pull the oil pan, which also means you can check the pump and the screen. If it is a one piece seal then you either remove the engine or the trans, and also the flywheel to get at the seal. I also don`t think you have a choice as to which one you want to use. You either have one or the other. I do believe that the cranks will interchange, but I know that the blocks are different.

Go to the parts store tell them you need a seal for x year x engine the comp will tell you which you need.

Fellro

Staff member
It will be a one piece. A two piece requires rear main cap removal, while a one piece does not. I don't remember when Ford switched to one piece, but well before this generation of trucks. My 88 is one piece. Same with my 6.9.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts