Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear main seal

Yeah it started leaking right before i graduated high school and i didnt have time or money to work on it. I plan on rebuilding the engine soon so anything that is negitively effected by the additive ill be replacing any way. I imagin a lot of other seals are on the verge of leacking anyway. the truck was parked with dirty oil for a year or so which i imagine was what damaged the rear main. Im basically just trying to push it a little further till i have the money for all the parts i want to put into it.

I didnt realize the aditive could have a anegitive effect tho. ill probably never use it again in that case.

a cup or so of DOT 3 brake fluid in the oil works good, to help other seals, but like Ben says- if you start it, you have to keep it in there or things shrink.
I hate it when things shrink :headbang:

Yeah this stuff i got worked wonders and ive only put one bottle in for the last year and a half. but it might be leaking again so ill have to go through with replacing it or buying another 10 dollar bottle. I also got to ge another new transfer case seal cuz its leaking again. My truck pretty much has marked its teritory in the driveway. Which brings me up on another subject. Is it obvious when the tranfer cases bushing is bad? Can you shake it or something to tell? cause the slip yoke is fine just the seal went out realy fast and either i didnt do something right when i put it in or the bushing is leting the yoke rock and making the seal fail prematurely

ok i heard a lil noise from it near the end bfore it finaly went out. kind of a wining noise so your probably right. ill try the lithium this time around

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
If it was whinin that could be a bearing or the bushing your talkin about. Whenever ya do a seal like that be it in the motor tranny rear end etc. ya need to either lube up the seal or lube up whatever turns inside the seal.

Ford Truck Articles