Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear gear ratio

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I got the numbers of the tag on the rear end of my truck and I have had a Blonde moment. I forgot how to read it. Can someone help? There is no other tags or numbers.

85 F150 O am guessing it's a 8.8 rear.

Line 1.10P
Line 2. 5885B25

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Okay well, if I'm not mistaken, the 5885B25 code denotes the date the rear end was assembled, as well as the ring gear size.

I'm not sure what the 5 stands for.

The 88 more than likely stands for 8.8 ring gear.

5-1985
B-February
25-25th day

I'm not sure about the 10P either.

Any chance you can get us the axle code from the door sticker? I can probably easily decode that one.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Okay well, if I'm not mistaken, the 5885B25 code denotes the date the rear end was assembled, as well as the ring gear size.

I'm not sure what the 5 stands for.

The 88 more than likely stands for 8.8 ring gear.

5-1985
B-February
25-25th day

I'm not sure about the 10P either.

Any chance you can get us the axle code from the door sticker? I can probably easily decode that one.

Ok I will be back in a few.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
That is a good overall gear. Thanks Shaun, now all I need to do is find out if it has traction lok.

Unfortunately your truck has an open rear carrier. When the axle code has two numbers, it's an open carrier. When the axle code has a letter and a number, such as L9, the carrier has a locking unit in it.

Ford Truck Articles