Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear defrost

Hi guys,

I'm wondering about some ways to improve the defrost for my truck. The side glass, and the rear window get really foggy/icy, and my heater while good, can't keep up. I don't have the ac vents on my truck to try to point at the side glass, and I'm trying to think of someway to improve my heating system. Anyone used aftermarket rear window defrosters, or come up with some better way to keep the side glass from getting foggy/icy? Thanks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
One alternative is an auxillary heater..plumbed into your existing coolant line(s) with a valve and fan control.

Or, drop your sun visors to aim air so it comes out the side more.

bendog

Pacific Northwest Chapter member
A block heater will get the coolant warm before you start the truck. Mine's on a timer to come on about 2 hours before I leave in the morning.

bendog

Pacific Northwest Chapter member
I also think occasionally the high wire going to the heater blower comes off (did on mine, twice) then you only have medium. Now my heater will blow a piece of paper around on the floor when on def/heat, and will blow your eyeballs dry in no time on hi/low. Really puts out the air. Also make sure your ducting and vents arent clogged up. Also clean out the air intake under the windshield, mine was full of leaf litter and pine needles. My heater is factory a/c pilfered from a bronco and put into my Cummins crew cab. Maybe try to get a fan from a bronco application, should bolt right in?

Ford Truck Articles