Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear brake problem?

Been a while since I've been able to post on here but I've got some time tonight...

Took ol' Blue out for a spin the other day and after a while I noticed a metal on metal scratchy grating sound. At first I thought it was just some leftover mud and crud rubbing against rotors so I cleared out a few dried mud clods and checked the front rotors for wear. Nothing unusual. Spun the rotors and didn't notice any unusual sounds whatsoever. Bearings seem fine too. The noise seems to stop when I hit the brakes ...maybe rear bearings are jacked. Just don't know what would cause this out of the blue.

Due to my current housing situation (apartments - hate em, but that's changing as of the end of May when my lease ends) I cannot adequately tear down the rear brakes for a proper inspection, but I was thinking the shoes must be wearing down to the nubs. I can't see anything else under there that would make such a noise.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Has it been sitting for quite some time without driving? sometimes you get surface rust over the rotors that might make some noise until it wears off.

masterbeavis

California Chapter member
That rust on the rotors clears the minute you hit the brakes.

Try using your Ebrake instead of your normal brakes. If the noise pops up, you know you have brake shoe issues.

rvbrakes1.jpg

rvbrakes2.jpg

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I've seen some bad enough that it doesnt go away the first time you hit them. Will be hard to say until he can check everything to really verify what is going on :)

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
I had my automatic adj. cable break and the end that hooks to the actual adj. fell down between the drum and backing plate. It made kinda the same sound.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I did have my self-adjuster fall out one time and rub on the drum and made a grinding sound more while driving. I forgot about that even happening until I read Chuck's post.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts