Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear "Axle Over" suspension?

So i was thinking about lowering my 79 F150 Supercab with an 8' bed to give it a different stance.

I had heard about doing a axle over suspension change on the rear (putting the axle on top of the leaf springs) But i noticed that there wasn't really any clearance for the axle between the leafs and the frame.

I've heard of other people doing this, but not on a Supercab with the long bed.

Does the frame on my truck not curve upward around the axle as much as it does on short beds or regular cab models?

And does anyone know any way to do this, without having to buy the lowering Hangers and shackles, and drop shocks. Because that is a few hundred bucks that i do not have.

Thanks for any knowledge you might be able to pass along to me smilieFordlogo

primetime

sawmill slave
The clearance is gained by cutting a c-notch in the frame and then bracing it by either bolting on plates which are usually supplied with lowering kits, or fabbing up your own, or boxing that part of the frame. You will have to weld new spring perches on the bottom of your axle, and you will still have to buy new shocks. New u-bolts will more than likely be necassary also.

The clearance is gained by cutting a c-notch in the frame and then bracing it by either bolting on plates which are usually supplied with lowering kits, or fabbing up your own, or boxing that part of the frame. You will have to weld new spring perches on the bottom of your axle, and you will still have to buy new shocks. New u-bolts will more than likely be necassary also.

If you could better explain what you mean by bolting on plates, that would be great, I'm not so good at understanding.

What are the chances that the drive shaft will need shortened?

What are the chances that the drive shaft will need shortened?
IMO, "shortened no" axle's "pinion angle yes".

What are the advantages you seek to start with, in this lowering job tho?
Something else that might have a method that'd work better for you?

Just for looks? :/

Lots of lowering-threads on Fordification back when I was hanging out there.
They are still there to read. Using Lincoln front ends and the whole works. :)
Hanger flips are a big hit for the rear-end, seems like.

Alvin in AZ
ps- In Mexico at the beach with 10 Mocosos (brats;) and so... 10 reasons
-not- to have a "pretty Bronco" and why an -ugly- but -real-good-running-
reliable-Bronco is better? LOL :)
pps- "no problem, sand is good for the (muy feo) Bronco ;)"
ppps- Useful first, looks second.
pppps- YMMV?

primetime

sawmill slave
The plates are to restore the strength lost by cutting the c-notch. The installs I`ve seen generally have two. One for the outside of the frame, and one for the inside. They extend maybe a foot or so each side of the notch. They are pre-drilled so that you just clamp them in place, drill the appropriate holes and bolt them on. If you`re on that tight of a budget, and have some fabrication skills, you could make your own. Try to find another truck that`s lowerered, the make doesn`t matter, just so long as you have an idea of what to do. Or check a website like Bell-Tech, or Truckin magazine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts