Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rear ABS light

My "Rear ABS" light comes on. I don't know very much about that system. If I unplug the electrical connection at the MC then the light will go off after I re-start. After a couple of days the light comes back on. The shoes are getting kinda low and I have a set to replace with. Don't know if the two are related. Anyone care to educate me?

I asked this question and so far no replies so here I go again: "My "Rear ABS" light comes on. I don't know very much about that system. If I unplug the electrical connection at the MC then the light will go off after I re-start. After a couple of days the light comes back on. The shoes are getting kinda low and I have a set to replace with. Don't know if the two are related. Anyone care to educate me?"

blacksnapon

Staff member
The thing to do is get the brake linings up to snuff. When they are low, there is more fluid needed to apply the brakes. The fluid level in the master cylinder can get low enough to trip the sensor and set the light. That eliminated, you can move on to other causes.

Thank you. I thought it may be that and the shoes are low so I'll replace them. The funny thing is that it comes and goes; shut off the truck and 4/5 times the lamp goes out until it randomly lights up again. The fluid in the resevoir was always within allowances re: levelthough.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I agree with Vince get the shoes in and go from there. At least you are starting off with new shoes. Then make sure you fluid is at the right level in the master cylinder. The sensor which I'm guessing is on the differential (someone correct me if I'm wrong) make sure the wires look ok. That's all I can think to check right now.

Do you RABS I or II? There is a troubleshooting procedure, just depends on which one you have. Bad news is, you have to troubleshoot when it happens with RABS I because it doesn't store faults. The RABS module connector is by the emergency brake, the RABS II module is located behind the glovebox. You read it just like engine trouble codes.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts