Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Re: used truck search..

Re: used truck search..

Someone on another board said to stay away from the '03/'04 6.0's (but didn't elaborate why), and that the 6.0 will not last as long as the 7.3. (He stated they wear out just as fast as any gas engine. I am finding this hard to swallow.
Any truth to this?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Someone on another board said to stay away from the '03/'04 6.0's (but didn't elaborate why), and that the 6.0 will not last as long as the 7.3. (He stated they wear out just as fast as any gas engine. I am finding this hard to swallow.
Any truth to this?
The 03s and early 04s had a lot of injector and programming issues. If you find one high mileage and a clean oasis, chances are its a good one. After the 05 MY, all the issues have been resolved. Many of the 6.0 problems were brought on with techs not understanding the engine and how it works. My opinion, get one, and purchase the 200,000 mile warranty. Then keep it stock, and resist the temptation to modify it. Remember, the 7.3 had its own growing pains.

Thanks for the info..

My 04 f-250 has 110000 miles on it and the only problems have ben an EGR cooler and a Turbo. no other problems. Truck runs great.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
My 04 f-250 has 110000 miles on it and the only problems have ben an EGR cooler and a Turbo. no other problems. Truck runs great.

What... only 110,000 miles????

I have 145,000 on my '03 (oh ya, that's right, mine is a year older)... and running just as strong.

The difference... mine still has all the original OEM parts still on it from when it was made... so don't be too shy at considering an '03 or '04 model year truck.

So... bottom line... here is an '03 and '04 owner with good reports to post!!!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I've posted this before- don't buy one without an OASIS report (Ford warranty history). 6.0's seem to come one of two ways- flawless, or the truck from hell. No middle ground whatsoever, so it'd be good to know which camp the truck you're looking at fits in. I'd personally also stay away from one that's had any mods done to it (programmers, etc).

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
They all break sooner or later, I wouldn't be scared to buy any year 6.0, it's even more helpfull if you have a good diesel tech. If you find a truck you like write the vin down and PM it to me I can run it and send you the warrenty history on it and tell you if you'll be safe.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
They all break sooner or later.

What... now you tell me....

I told my wife that this truck would last forever... and this was the reason I was spending so much... and she agreed.

Great... now your telling me they don't last forever... well, your going to have to answer to my wife!!!!

They all break sooner or later, I wouldn't be scared to buy any year 6.0, it's even more helpfull if you have a good diesel tech. If you find a truck you like write the vin down and PM it to me I can run it and send you the warrenty history on it and tell you if you'll be safe.

I will probably take you up on that offer, thanks.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Nearly 140k on my '03 6.0 without a problem except a sticky EGR valve a few weeks ago that went away on it's own. Want to "chip" it, but too scared with all the horror stories.

Like everyone else said, run the OASIS and base your decision off of that. I ran one on this truck before I bought it and it looked like a transmission issue and maybe a replaced headgasket early in it's life, but no problems since.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Nearly 140k on my '03 6.0 without a problem except a sticky EGR valve a few weeks ago that went away on it's own. Want to "chip" it, but too scared with all the horror stories.

Like everyone else said, run the OASIS and base your decision off of that. I ran one on this truck before I bought it and it looked like a transmission issue and maybe a replaced headgasket early in it's life, but no problems since.

If you chip it I recomend head studs and egr and cooler delete, if your gonna crank the boost up anyways.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
What... now you tell me....

I told my wife that this truck would last forever... and this was the reason I was spending so much... and she agreed.

Great... now your telling me they don't last forever... well, your going to have to answer to my wife!!!!

LOL thats ok put her on the phone!! I answer to my wife all the time lol...

Ford Truck Articles