Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

radio antenna

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Does anybody know if I could run my radio antenna thru a cb antenna or if it would be a bad idea?

I'd give it a shot, they make the adapters to go from "stock" to cb so I would think it would receive better..

What kind of antenna?

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
I have two 3 foot firestiks. And I want to get rid of the stock antenna, don't like the look of it, so I figured I could use one for my radio and the other for my cb

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I know that cb antennas are supposed to be mounted like 8 feet away from each other, but i dont know how that would apply to having one of those antenna for a radio and the other for the cb?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I had dual whips on my 89 . mounted on mirror . Picked up well

Yes it can be done . But the CB antennas don't pick up Radio very good . Can go other way tho

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
I have 2 fiberglass firestiks. I gotta get a new one anyway for the cb. I was gonna get a high power one since the new cb is digital not analog. Could I use a high power antenna for it?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I know it sounds old school, but I love the look and performace I get out of my 8ft whip. Nearly indestructible too.

As for radio on cb antennas I have no clue. I don't see them having to be mounted far apart though, as they are picking up different frequencies and only one is transmitting. Should be no problem. Just have to tune in the CB antenna to the right length to get AM//FM radio?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Firestiks are junk plain and simple. Antenna length is also a problem, the frequency a certain electronic device operates on can determine the length of the antenna. 102" stainless steel whip antennas are great for CB and the frequency range it uses (27 mHz)....ever notice how Police cars have short little antennas? The reason being because the older radios actually operate on a much higher frequency range....almost ham in fact. If you'd like to try another antenna, look into a GM antenna or one from a newer model Ranger( the ones with sprial showing on the outside).

So would a moded CB or HAM have a better chance of picking up LE signals? IE scanner with out having to have a 2nd reciver??

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Since most have gone to digital, no...However, if municipalities in your area are still using the old style radios then absolutely. Any radio can be modified with the proper no-how...however, alot of these digital analog (old style freq radios but with a digital display) you'll either need to get the proper pieces of equipment or send it off and have frequencies programmed. most of the time, your best bet is a 2M (meter) ham unit with a broad range of frequencies.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
well, im getting rid of the firestiks everybodys got em my new cb is all didital its a cobra 29 lx 40 channel and dual wilson 5000 trucker antennas. i was hoping i could run the radio thru one

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts