Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rad supports 78/9/76

Well just an update I got my 76 f250 custom "logger box" truck ready to go for the inter-provincial safety and on the road for next week But the rad support and front inner fender area was rusted out badly so on the advice of my mechanic I decided to change them out. I had a 78/9 rad support, inner fenders handy and installed them. Where I had the problem is when I tried to install the round headlight buckets, the bolt holes and mounting area were different.
So rather the fool with them I just installed the square headlights and grill.
I was a little disappointed cause I sorta like the 76 look for this truck.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I was a little disappointed cause I sorta like the 76 look for this truck.

Sometimes I feel like a minority around here, but I like round headlights better, too.

Fellro

Staff member
You can make the newer support accept the older buckets. It has been long enough now I don't recall the details, but you do have to drill the lower holes for the headlight, but I do remember that two out of the 4 holes are in the same place.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I had used a 78 core support on a 77 F-350 I had with the round headlights , the core support was out of a 78 with the round headlights, I had to replace the core support in the 77 due to an accident, and I had gotten the core support for the great price of free. All I had to do was to drill two new lower mounting holes for the 77 headlight buckets for two of holes were in the correct places an then I had just bolted the 77 headlight buckets to the 78 core support and then I put the grille back together, and it still looked like a 77

ya I didn't have time to play with this but good to know I will change them out 1 day. I am thinking this truck probably will be wrecked out any ways for the box [going on my s/c 4x4] I talked to the p.o. the other day and found out the engine was also re-built [bonus bonus bonus!!] I figured something was amiss when i did a compression test and all cylinders were reading 100 to 125 psi. So this 460 probably will go into the 4x4 as well.
But fo now i will get it on the road,drive it and have fun with the "old classic"!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1973/79 F100/350 & 1978/79 Bronco with Round Headlamps:

D3TZ-16138-B .. Radiator Support-Use with Standard/Xtra Cooling & A/C Radiators.

D3TZ-16138-D .. Radiator Support-Use with Super Cooling Radiator only.

The Super Cooling Radiator is taller than the other radiators, so this radiator support has a larger opening radius.

1978/79 F100/350 & Bronco with Rectangular Headlamps:

D8TZ-16138-A .. Radiator Support.

This support is dished inwards behind the buckets so the rectangular headlamps will fit.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts