Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Quick question on headlight wiring conversion

Fellro

Staff member
I use the power from the dimmer switch to power the relay, and then have a direct feed from the battery to power the headlights, which is switched by the relay. I used circuit breakers for circuit protection for the power feed to the headlights. The power to control the relays is protected by the headlight switch breaker, and the power feeds to the headlights are protected by individual breakers. My setup anyway...

now I know you are building your own, but LMC has a heavy duty harness that I bought and used. Direct fit, Quality (Sometimes LMC isn't), and only like 25 bucks or something. The only thing I had to do was drill 2 holes for ground and 2 to mount the relays. ~20 minutes to install if you don't have to run to the hardware store 3 times.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I thought about the LMC harness, but after seeing some not so great stuff from them I just thought I would do it myself for probably about the same money I guess. Maybe I'll consider it.

Well if you change yer mind, its a quality harness and irect fit, not some cheapy crap like normal LMC

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks for the links guys. Are these harnesses already fused as well or do I have to add a little fuse block to it. I know it says plug and play, but I just want to make sure.

Last edited:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Thanks for the links guys. Are these harnesses already fused as well or do I have to add a little fuse block to it. I know it says plug and play, but I just want to make sure.
the one I gave you is totally plug and play.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sounds good. I will be orderng this week I think

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
73f100, what are your roof lights wired to?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
They are wired to the factory brown wire tucked up behind the dash. I'm sure Dennis can provide you a picture of it. It helped me out. But you will have it under there.

Pluginbehindcluster.jpg

rooflights.jpg

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
That's what I used. And that 3 plug yellow connector is also a great thing to know about as well.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I will be rewiring my lights tomorrow. I am going to make the harness. :) I bought the stuff but have to remember to get a few more connectors.

Im a little late on this, but the one I gave is also completly plug and play, except for drilling 4 small holes for mounting the relays and grounding

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I was going to order the harness but then decided to make it because we are slow at work lately and I need something to do to take up the time LOL

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
thanks. that 3 plug connecer is nice to know about. thats where my cd player will be connected when i finally get it installed.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
You could also plug it into the factory radio wire. That's what I did. It is a lot closer then the yellow plug. I used the yellow plug for my aftermarket gauges.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
im not sure if im gonna get new gauges. i just thought it might be better than the factory radio wire since the CD player needs more power.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts