Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

question

I'm wanting to convert my 78 f100 2wd to a 4x4 also swap the 360 from my 4x4 with my 460 from my 2wd . The 4x4 has a granny 4speed and the other is a automatic. Any suggestions on the swap

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I moved your question over to the Gen 6 forum where it might get more attention.
Edit....I'd stick with the automatic ....as far as I know, that is a fairly straightforward swap.

primetime

sawmill slave
Any suggestions on the swap

Yep, buy a 4x4 with the chassis configuration you want, put the 460 into that and sell off parts to recoup some of your investment.

Really though, a 4x2 to 4x4 swap on a gen 6 is a lot of work between moving the steering box, crossmember mods, and other stuff. Put the two trucks side by side and you`ll see what I mean. Being handy with a welder and torches will also be mandatory.

Off Road magazine ran a series of articles on this swap in the late 90`s. Maybe try searching their website and see if you can find them. It was a 78-9 Super cab short bed.

F150

easy
I'm wanting to convert my 78 f100 2wd to a 4x4 also swap the 360 from my 4x4 with my 460 from my 2wd . The 4x4 has a granny 4speed and the other is a automatic. Any suggestions on the swap

That hurt my head reading that. You want to take the motor and drive train from a 4x4 and put it in a 2x4? And put the motor and drive train removed from the 2x4, and put it in the 4x4? Why not just leave everything alone?

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I think he wants to convert his 2wd F100 to 4wd and then put the 460 into the F100 and put the 360 into whatever will be 2wd after the swap.

Seems like alot of work to me, if it were me id leave whatever you have that is 4x4 and whatever is 2wd 2wd and just swap the motor and trans.....then all you have to do is get a transfer case to bolt behind the auto....

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
If you want a 4x4 with a certain engine and transmission then JUST BUY what you want and to heck with massive swap over

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I always wondered why peoples didn't see this as an easier route.

That's always my philosophy...unless you want something that wasn't made. By the time you factor in parts (and time) you'll probably be 50-100% more expensive than one you bought...not to mention all the time you spent doing it.

If you use the auto from the 2wd you will have to change the output shaft in the trans. just stay with the 4speed. is the 4x4 your using is it a complete chasis. unless its a highboy they had a devorce transfer case.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts