Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question for 92 F250

Junior, have not done yet what you asked about, jumped the solenoid, heck man, didn't even know what that meant. Got a new solenoid on the way and will install that, it was only ten bucks.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
No, you cross the two large terminals which causes them to engage thus sending power to the starter and spinning the engine over.
8596broncostartersolenoid.jpg
Correction-- connect the 3 o'clock large terminal with the 12 o'clock small terminal (if you're looking at it on the fender well). You'll have to pull the rubber boot off the 12 o'clock post. Shorting the large posts will send the full load through your jumper wire before it goes out to the starter, which will burn up your jumper wire. Randy this is why you get burn marks in your pliers.

Also make sure the key is in the foward position when you do this so that the fuel pump and ignition system have power. If the starter does not engage then you've got a bad solenoid. If it DOES engage then the problem is between your ignition switch and your 12 o'clock solenoid wire. If you need it started with a bad solenoid then use a LARGE screw driver with insulated handle to jump the large terminals but exercise caution because your dealing with a large load.

Last edited:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Chris, I explained to him the way i have always crossed my solenoids during troubleshooting or projects.......I have never had an issue this way but to each his own. Both ways work.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
It works Junior, it can just be somewhat dangerous, especially for notices who may not know how the solenoid actually works.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Normally i do jump the 12vinput to the smaller post. There are time the relay is toast in the inside so bad that that way does not work.
This is when I jump both large post totally bypassing the relay. This way you will know tht the starter is operational or not.
If the truck has a manual transmision be sure it is in nutreal or thee truck will lurch forward if in 1st or bacwards if in reverse.

Hey guys so its not the solenoid, do I take off the steering ....

cowling and try and chase it from there? I was able to start it by going between the two larger terminals, neat trick, thanks.

blacksnapon

Staff member
This truck manual or automatic? You have a clutch switch that interrupts starter operation with a manual, and the neutral safety switch with an automatic.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
cowling and try and chase it from there? I was able to start it by going between the two larger terminals, neat trick, thanks.
Did you try starting between the 3 and 12 o'clock posts like I suggested? If it wouldn't start that way, but WOULD start by shorting the large posts then it's a bad solenoid.

All right hey guys, it did start on 12 oclock and 3 oclock so it looks like I need to look into this neutral safety switch on the tranny? Okay so what do you think next? I have the steering cowling off and am sort of at a loss. Thanks again guys

Since I was able to start the truck I moved it to an old buddies garage, so tools I can use now. To take off the cowling I had to take off one of the dash panels. I just don't know how much to take off. But I have a volt meter and my buddy was saying I could turn the key on and find which wire has power and follow it from there, gues I'll try that.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
ok where to start, Manual or auto. Im not sure where the manual nuetral saftey is but i know where the auto is.

Dont start pulling wires just yet (theres like 100)

There will be a large switch with a plug that has about 100 wires going to it.
It will be on the bottom of your column right where the plasic pieces behind the streering wheel attached to the column meet the dash pieces.

Heres what the switch looks like
9207ignitionswitchf250.jpg

The peg you see on top will be point up.

You will need a t-20 torx screw driver or bit w/e. This has all your power wires that switch fromt he colum

While you have it hangin, there should be enough of a gap between where the wires go in the back of the grey plug and the plug it self. to get a test lead in there.

Someone here has a wiring diagram i dont, but when they post it, we'll point out the correct wieres and tell ya what you should find.

On a auto the nuetral safety is located on the top of the column, But ill get to that later...Im really tired and i cant really put it into words for you on how to drop it, its not hard but if you forget one thing (prnd123 tether line for the folks that are curious) it would really suck...

anthony

ALL right Anthony. I'm a little tired too so instead of messing it up tonight I'll get on it with some sleep. Its an automatic just so you know. I was looking in the archives and apparently this isn't anything new with this gen. at least. Makes me nervous looking at all those wires though.
By the way. Congrats on quittin' smokes. Thats something I just gotta do.

Manana

Ford Truck Articles