Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question about air injection pump

I believe my air injection pump on my 1997 F-250 with 460 EFI is going bad. It's making a lot of noise, especially when cold. Is it possible to bypass it with a short belt or is there an air pump eliminator idler like there is for the 5.0 Fox Mustangs?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
not sure, but maybe you could measure for a shorter serp. belt. Welcome to the site.smilieFordlogo

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Depending on where your tensioner pulley is you can or cant bypass it. I was at my parts store all day trying belts to bypass my air pump. Wither the belt was just too short, or just too lose and not enough tension. My tensioner is on the side. If you have it on the top you can bypass it. I have heard.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've heard that bypassing it with a shorter belt never works out too well. Most guys just gut it and run it without the guts and it just acts as an idler pulley.

Thanks for the replies. I've put a idler pulley in place of the pump on my Mustang, works ok. Not sure which way to go on this. My tensioner is on top, but, I don't know if I'd trust the belt on such a long space if I went the short belt route. Gutting it may be the best idea in the long run. We'll see. Thanks Again for the replies.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
I've heard that bypassing it with a shorter belt never works out too well. Most guys just gut it and run it without the guts and it just acts as an idler pulley.

i beg to differ actuallysmilieneenar im running my 4.9 without the A.I.R. Pump and its doing just fine. it took me 3 times to get the correct sized belt but it works fine now. i also took out my a/c because the system was beyond repair and i had no plans on replacing the entire system. its been like this for about a year and a half with no problems. you just have to use a piece of string and route the string like the belt would be routed and then measure the string and go from there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts