Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Put My First Mod on My Truck.....

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I installed the dieselsite.com coolant filter at 50,000 miles, and wish I had done so sooner.

The pictures shown on the dieselsite.com website (in the 6.L section) are mine and were submitted after my first filter change.

This is the best, easiest and first mod all diesel truck owners should install!! smiliegitrdone

Jeff, I follow your lead on maintenance of the 6.0 just like Barack follows the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Hey ? for ya do they make sumpin like that for the 5.4?? or is this just a diesel thing?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Well I was thinkin after doin this motor rebuild and all I thought it might help keep her clean, from previous excursions....

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The Dieselsite.com kist are made to "fit" in a diesel, but the idea of a coolant filter set-up can be placed on any truck or car.

You may have to design your own mounting bracket and build from plumbing parts your own "t-fittings" but a by-pass coolant filter will work on any car or truck... it just happens that dieselsite.com and others just design them for diesel applications.

Napa has several generic filters, adpaters, hose and fittings... for which others over the years have designed their own system.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
i know this is a really noobish question, but why is there still sand in the block from casting?

Washing the block after casting it only cleans "some" but not every bit of sand from every nook and cranny. I would also assume poor quality control is to blame as well... from Int'l that is... not Ford.

Some motors have more than others... but all have it. Check out the dieselsite.com website and look at the 6.0L section. The photos shown are my photos I submitted after I was "sold" that a coolant filter is the best mod money can buy!!!

I would bet that the problem of excessive casting sand in the block was limited to either one production line or the other rather than blocks from both. Aren't they produced in Illinois and Huntsville? May be not but it seems they should be a bit smarter at IH.

Michigan
And wonder why water pumps dont last to long in these trucks. My dad has 145K on his without the filter, i think we are lucky. Once that thing does go, its yellow coolant, Filter, 203 stat and billet housing.

Michigan
Goose u got any pictures of your filter setup?

Michigan
i like that. Good insurance. I think i have most the sand out of my dads block, i had to replace the block heater and i drained everything , found a good amount of sand at the bottom of the toat i was using to catch the coolant as i unbolted the drain plugs on the side of the block.

Il have to show him this. Thanks

Michigan
Blacksnapon close your eyes lmao!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Goose... glad to hear your on the coolant filter bandwagon!!!

Best mod ever...

The first filter for me went for about 1 oil change (5,000 miles) and then the second one I let go for 10,000 miles. I just wanted to see what was in it and even after 4 or so filters... I still get "stuff" out of my system.

The key is that while your system is pressured and colant is moving ata high rate... things work loose and float around. Keep in mind that since the coolant filter is a "by-pass" system... it takes awhile for all the coolant to make it through the by-pass filter. Most of the time, the majority of the coolant is not going through the by-pass but just the normal coolant flow route.

No matter what... it is well documented that sand and other "stuff" exist in our systems and the EGR cooler... and it needs to be flushed and filtered out.

I flush my cooling system every 50,000 miles with distilled water and fresh 50/50 Premium Gold Ford coolant. I have little faith in any fluid that Ford states will go 100,000 miles... and that's without a coolant filter!!!

I now change my coolant filter once a year and change the coolant every 50,000 miles and all is well at 123,000 miles!!!

Ford Truck Articles