Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pulling?

Michigan
Has anyone pulled their 150 bronco or 250 with a V8 351 in any local truck pulls? I think it would be a blast!

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
It would be a race actually...

Which blows first the M5OD or the 8.8 rear :D

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I like the sig.

When she starts to twist, be more like Chris. Pull your hat down tight, and just LeDoux it!

Has anyone pulled their 150 bronco or 250 with a V8 351 in any local truck pulls? I think it would be a blast!

I was a crew chief for a few years with truck pulls.....I didn't work with the stockers, I just laughed at them. We ran a 57 Chevy pickup body on a 8" C channel frame with a 427 BB and 8-71 roots style blower. Coupled with 13:1 compression and 26 lbs of boost with alcohol and an occasional kick of nitro. Dyno'd at 2200HP on the dyno :guns:

Anyways....off the soapbox. If you do pull it, get a mud tire, drop it to about 2 PSI, put it in 4 low and put it in 1st gear to start, and 2nd gear once rolling.

To start, hook up, pull chain tight. Apply gentle throttle, hold there. Apply about 1/3 throttle, get green flag. Apply 2/3 throttle, get wheel spin going. Wheel spin is your friend. once the truck begins to catch up with wheel, kick it wide open and hold, when you begin to approach peak torque, grab 2nd. hold wide open. If your feeling ballsy, grab 3rd....note very dangerous.

When we ran the puller, we had about 15-20 MPH ground speed, and about 80 MPH tire speed.

If the truck begins to bounce, CUT IT DOWN!!!!!! if you don't you WILL break axle shafts and/or u-joints. I can't tell you the number of joints and axles I saw break.

Last edited:

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Heres my thoughts, and remember this is just my honest opinion.

Don't waste such a pretty truck on such a sport that can tear out so much stuff. I pulled for about 4 yrs and had a damn nice truck. I enjoyed it but when it was down i felt obligated to pull the tow rig and on many occasion ended up pulling the toy and trailer home with just the front axle cause I blew the rear end out of the cover! If it is something you want to pursue wait till you get some money saved up and buy a puller other wise you will hate having a broke truck sitting in the drive, and nothing to go to work with.

In case you were wondering here is our puller and toy. now mind you after it was all said and done we had prob close to $250,000 tied up in both and we were still getting beat. But all of our winnings went to St. Judes Childrens Hospital.

Pre paint job and graphics.
l_405757f7d19813e54995a5bbb26b8bbc.jpg

Post paint and rework...
l_491db62f88f36ac192ac7d2114aa7a6b.jpg

and the tow rig...
l_dc9aad128c3416b34b2c9e7a27d6cea4.jpg

l_3ca5d125a359de69d7d6ddbaa21a87ba.jpg

Michigan
Yea man u sent me those pictures. Those trucks are amazing! Yea it was just an idea i had, i always wanted to put something in the pulls.

Michigan
When she starts to twist, be more like Chris. Pull your hat down tight, and just LeDoux it!
Hell yea! Good ride cowboy, Good ride

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I used to pull every year with My F150's and one F350 . All had theF150's Mazda 5 spd Which I never had problems with even when dragrace on with 175000 miles. Also never had rear problems. GEt her moving in 2nd and floor it. :)

With the weight over the rears wheels the bronco do OK . But the lOnger the Puller the more you can get over Bad spots easier . I never won but did come in top 10 a time or 2 (out of 20). Just a drunk having fun.:)

Michigan
haha awesome dude, yea it would be fun thats for sure. They also had a mud drag race last year, that would be fun but the stock trucks went after the mud dragsters so it was badd..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts