Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pulling Heads

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
These numbers and the bolt tightening sequence should be in the shop manuals right?

I got those out of the service spec book...and I believe the Ford shop manual has the sequence...personally, I'd use a Chilton or Haynes manual to level a cabinet or firestarter...but hey, that's just me..:D

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I use them for tq numbers and proper sequences...
Thats all, like on intakes and heads...
That kinda stuff...
I dont use them for information other than that.
Most of the time i tear into the situation, fix what i need go back through.
Most use the tq numbers in the chilton book...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I use them for tq numbers and proper sequences...
Thats all, like on intakes and heads...
That kinda stuff...
I dont use them for information other than that.
Most of the time i tear into the situation, fix what i need go back through.
Most use the tq numbers in the chilton book...

I don't trust them...I much prefer the OEM manuals...and they just don't go into enough detail IMO.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
i only use them for the sequences and tq numbers, i something dont sound right then i check online...
But a oem manual might be a good idea...
:)
If i used the manual enough i would probably already have one.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
i only use them for the sequences and tq numbers, i something dont sound right then i check online...
But a oem manual might be a good idea...
:)
If i used the manual enough i would probably already have one.

They are cheap enough...I think only $25 for the CD...but I suppose any manual is better than none at all!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would prefer actually book over a cd... I dont mind getting a book dirty, my comp i do though...

Likewise Don....but I tried finding one and couldn't....that was half my motivation for putting that big TV in the garage...so I could have a cheap wireless keyboard and be able to read things from 15' away.

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
Get a can of Permatex thread lube.Stuff is pretty thick,cut it with clean engine oil to make a smooth paste.Use it on the threads and under the bolt shoulders for the flat washers.It will help a great deal in giving you accurate torque for your fasteners.Oh yeah,don't forget the anti-seize for your exhaust bolts!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Get a can of Permatex thread lube.Stuff is pretty thick,cut it with clean engine oil to make a smooth paste.Use it on the threads and under the bolt shoulders for the flat washers.It will help a great deal in giving you accurate torque for your fasteners.Oh yeah,don't forget the anti-seize for your exhaust bolts!

I agree 100%..esp. regarding the exhaust bolts!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Thanks for the info man. As for the exh. bolt...I'm never making that mistake again...thanks for the reminder.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
x2 on grade 8s for the exhaust. works like a charm...

IDK if the 400 is like the 390 as far as exhaust manifold bolts, but if it is, you need all the help you can get...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The 351/400's I have done mani's on haven't been too bad with the bolts. But I don't know the history of this engine and it was sitting in a shed for a few months before I got it. So there has been a little seizing than I'm used to.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I know on the 390 the bolt holes are exposed at the back causing terrible rust issues...

One of the few things Chebbrolet did better. blind exhaust manifold bolts. no rusty...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts