Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pulling a low boy

Backwoods

Figmentoftheimagination
Hey you'll I am looking at getting a low boy, I have a F150 , do you think my truck would have many problems pulling a low boy, with a full size truck on it, I know a 3/4 ton would be ideal for this, but could I do it regularly without problems?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You say lowboy, and I think this:

truck-&-triaxle-lowboy.jpg

Which ain't gonna work too well behind either a 150 or a 250.

So what, exactly, do you mean by "lowboy"?

Pony Hauler

Delaware Chapter member
you should be fine. I pull a 18 foot trailer with the wifes race car on it, plus the bed is loaded with tools and race equipment.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Legally, it depends on the GCWR..looking in my 79 owners guide for an F150 4x4 it varies from 7850 to 11000 depending on how it was optioned. Of course, you are gonna have people say it will do it regardless of what the book says...I'm just stating what Ford says. That comment is not directed at anybody...just a disclaimer.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Itll do it alright but youll be lookin at sky whenever ya tow the trailer. Ive done it with my 85 and the hitch was pretty close to the ground. I got it up to 65 and it did fine. A 250 would be better but your truck will do it.

I always put a truck on the trailer backwards to keep the toung weight down. Keeping most of the weight where it belongs, over the trailers wheels.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts