Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

PSD Oil Leak

Hello Everyone,

Been lurking here for a few years and decided to register here since I've reconized some real good recomedations here by the techs & experts

I have an F250 that has the infamous bell housing oil leak. The engine has been replaced because of an oil leak in the past due to excessive crankshaft movement and would eat up rear main seals. Now with this new reman engine I've had now for a couple of years is now leaking again. I've looked at all the external locations that could cause oil leaks and every place looks dry except around the bedplate which leads me to think its the oring seal between the bedlplate and block. The truck is out of warranty so any fix will be on my nickel. I've done a little research and found a engine seal called White Shepherd engine leak which suppose to consist of plastisizers to swell engine seals. Would using such a product cause problems with the seal on the high pressure oil side? Any risk of using such a product that may cause more repairs down the road?

Just out of curiosity have you tried keeping your CAC boots clean? Drops of oil will form and fall away and run. If everything else looks good I would try that. My bellhousing seemed to dry up after I wiped mine clean once a week.

blacksnapon

Staff member
The oil leaks there can actually come from several different areas. Bedplate, glow plug harness, seal at the rear engine cover, valve cover gaskets, and improper installation of the rear seal. My advice, start with an oil dye.

Just out of curiosity have you tried keeping your CAC boots clean? Drops of oil will form and fall away and run. If everything else looks good I would try that. My bellhousing seemed to dry up after I wiped mine clean once a week.

I got my CAC boots replaced a few years ago and they've been bone dry since.
Thanks

The oil leaks there can actually come from several different areas. Bedplate, glow plug harness, seal at the rear engine cover, valve cover gaskets, and improper installation of the rear seal. My advice, start with an oil dye.

Yeah I thought about the oil dye, maybe I'll try to locate some with the black light. The leak is definitely coming from either the bead plate and/or the rear engine cover.
Thanks blacksnapon

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
ICP sensor can leak a little oil and look like bell housing leak (mine did anyways).

ICP sensor can leak a little oil and look like bell housing leak (mine did anyways).

Mines an 05 and I already checked the ICP and it was bone dry and all the other potenial oil leak sources. I noticed oil on the rear engine plate right at the starter, so it's either the bedplate or the rear engine cover.

My truck now has 114k miles and has been flawless except for this nagging oil leak.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Just an update to my oil leak... The White Shephard oil leak fix did not help the leak after running it for ~2wks. I new it was a long shot but decided to give it a try.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you decide to have it repaired, make sure you go to a place that has done many of these before. Because of the "nature of the beast" if its not done correctly, you'll end up with a larger leak than when you started.

04SVT-L

New Jersey Chapter member

only the 03 and early 04's have the icp sensor in the rear under the turbo which always leak onto the bell housing. late 04 and up is right in the front of the pass side valve cover

04SVT-L

New Jersey Chapter member
Just an update to my oil leak... The White Shephard oil leak fix did not help the leak after running it for ~2wks. I new it was a long shot but decided to give it a try.

why would you put oil stop leak in ur motor!?? all that stuff does it gum up ur engine. and its bad enough to put it in a normal engine, let alone your powerstroke which gona go thru ur injecotrs bc ur injectors are opened by oil pressure and also ur turbo.. bad idea man. sorry i didnt see this earlier but i just joined. if ya have any questions but ur 6.0 or any powerstroke for that matter ill help ya out. but dont put that stuff in your oil :spank:

why would you put oil stop leak in ur motor!?? all that stuff does it gum up ur engine. and its bad enough to put it in a normal engine, let alone your powerstroke which gona go thru ur injecotrs bc ur injectors are opened by oil pressure and also ur turbo.. bad idea man. sorry i didnt see this earlier but i just joined. if ya have any questions but ur 6.0 or any powerstroke for that matter ill help ya out. but dont put that stuff in your oil :spank:

It's too late, I added the White Sheppard oil stop leak with about 3,500 miles on it already. No ill effect so far, and no effect on slowing down the leak. It's basically a plasticizer that replenishes the plastizers that oring/seals loose over time, which suppose to make the seal go back to its' original size once it gets saturated with the plasticizer. Its' doesn't swell the seals like some no leaks do. I don't recommend using these products, but felt like I had nothing to loose.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts