Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

proper way to break in engine/cam (roller cam)(new engine)

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i was browsing on the net and i found this

On the Street:
Warm the engine up completely:
Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

3 more words on break- in:
NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least
2 full days of hard racing or 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.
After that use your favorite brand of oil.

Last edited:

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I've always heard much the same...start it, 2500 RPM for 15-30 minutes, then baby it for the first thousand miles. First oil change at 500 miles, second at 1000 miles, third (and start of normal cycle) at 3000 miles. No cruise control or extended cruising at a certain RPM for long.

If it's an consolation, that's how my dad did it on his last truck and it made it past 300K without so much as an oil leak.

Ford Truck Articles