Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

proper valve adjustment for a 300 i6

i was doing some routine fluid checks on mt old truck today and when i started it up to move it i noticed a good bit of valve clatter. so i moved the truck to where i needed it and did what i was planning on doing. after checking the oil(1/2 qt low) i figured this could be a possible source for the valve clatter. topped off oil,checked anti-freeze,brake fluid etc etc. i then re-started the truck to move it back to where i park it and noticed the valve clatter was still there so again,i shut the truck down and i popped the hood and pulled the valve cover. i the began trying to "move" the rockers by hand to see how much play they had in them and all but 2 or 3 could be moved between 1/8th and 1/4 of an inch from side to side. to me this seems "unsafe" for the engine. and i was wondering how much if any play there should be in the rockers. i also started the truck with the valve cover off and the clatter was louder than ever(im assuming because the valve cover dampened the noise a bit) but also noticed that some of the push rods were spinning nice and fast and freely while some were spinning slowly and jerky and only when the valve was closed and the others werent spinning at all and just moving up and down to open and close the valves. i know the the push rods are supposed to spin when the engine is running. (im assuming to ensure even wear) having never had to adjust valves before im not sure what i am doing on this and have decided it best to just leave them as they were to prevent any un-needed damage to my engine and since i have no clue as to the proper adjustment procedure for my trucks engine i figured i would ask some of you on here for some advice on this. should the engine be running when the valves are adjusted or should it be shut off?? and how should this be done to ensure its done safely and properly?? it seems pretty straight forward as to how to do it(studs on top of the rockers can only be tightened or loosened) the truck runs fine with only the valve clatter present but i can certainly tell that the top end of the engine is getting oil because i saw it oozing from the pushrods and onto the rockers and trickling down onto the top of the head. but anyhow any and all advice is as always greatly appreciated. thanks alot bill

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I believe that are just torqued down to 25ish lb/ft...I'm sure others will chime in.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts