Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project Truck need some advice

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Damn dude...if the readings are accurate, that's right around 14mpgs...that's smoking good for a 460....I wouldn't change a damn thing if I were you, there are some guys out there struggling to hit double digits...most stock 460's fall in the 10-12mpg range.
Round trip 42 miles, lol. That means 7mpg if he's getting 2 trips per 12 gallons.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Round trip 42 miles, lol. That means 7mpg if he's getting 2 trips per 12 gallons.

Whoops...my bad, read that as 42 miles each way...hence your number being half of mine.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
also not sure if the front gears and rear gears match. I suppose I am going to have to pull the cover to find out, because there is no tag that I can find.
If they don't match then you've got very big issues. It would cause the front tires to spin at a different rate than the rear which would bind up the drivetrain.

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
that is what I was guessing. do you know how to figure out the gears by counting the ring and pinion teeth? I know there is a way I just don't remember what the formula is.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
that is what I was guessing. do you know how to figure out the gears by counting the ring and pinion teeth? I know there is a way I just don't remember what the formula is.

If you have an open diff, jack the rear up spin the tire twice and count how many revolutions the dshaft spun...if you have LS/Locker spin the tire once. And do the same for the front.

If you pull the diff cover...divide the teeth on the ring gear by the teeth on the pinion.

Last edited:

HazzardMadWolf

Go Fast Turn Left
Here are some pictures of what I'm up against. And I used that tire rotation vs. driveshaft rotation. It looks as if they are pretty close. I may still pull covers just to be sure.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
To me it doesn't look too bad for 20+ year old truck...sure some messy welds, rust and a few other things...but I wouldn't expect much less.

Ford Truck Articles