Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Project thread - E4OD Shift Kit

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Waiting on a reply ,lol, gonna buy the kit this weekend and hoping to get it put on next week. You inspired me Chris .

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Score I now have inspired 2 people to do shift kits. As I told Chris you will love it also.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'll say this... The shifts are not exactly COMFORTABLE, because they do kick you a bit, and I can't wait to hear what people say when they ride in the truck with me... "Is your truck breaking?" Lol. BUT! I'm still very satisfied with the kit because I know it's good for my transmission, especially when I'll be towing our boat.

So... If you're okay with the ride of the truck being compromised a bit with the tranny kicks, then its well worth it YelloThumbUp

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You will get used to the shifts. I dont feel mine anymore. It was like amusing for the 1st month, my xgf hated the shifts. Made things bounce, I liked it. lol.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I dont think it should be a prob. Im going on 2 years or so. Just grease them up everyone once in a while. Did you change them all already?

9350XL, or anyone else for that matter

are the E4ODs in the 150 the same as the 250s and 350s? mine shifts pretty hard as-is and i always just assumed it had some different guts.

tomtoc,

when i put my B&M shift improver in, my dad made the comment "now your truck shifts like mine." he has an F-superduty with the E4OD so i'm assuming they use beefier internals for the heavier duty trucks.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
My F350 shifted like Chris when I 1st got it. So maybe the F-Superduty had better stuff. But from the F150-F350 they should be the same. I know when I look up on ebay for E4OD they list what trucks it works in so i dont know.

well now that i think of it maybe they are just the same internals but different shifting strategy because we did lock the torque converter up a few years ago when it only had 60k miles on it. we almost got rid of it after that. maybe i should put a shift kit in that truck.

......so, has Skandocious contact'd B&M about's his problem with the CEL & codes popping up and all, for since the install of the kit????.....:headbang: ....am pretty curious myself to hear about's WHAT they half to say.........:hammer: smiliepeelout smiliecrybaby :icon_mecker: :argue: ...

mr. Charles

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Its just 1 part of that kit that is giving the CEL, there is the trans mod its self, and that didnt give the CEL, its the wiring mod that was throwing the CEL for him.

....HEY thar Skan ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? :wavey: . . . . any word back from B&M???? Or, haven't ya made the phone call to em' ? ? ? ........:headbang: .........just checking in upon this project of your's and all....:suspicious: ....gotten any word's of >>> Positive's <<< or >>>Neg's<<< about's doing this and all? ! ? !? ....smiliegitrdone ....like i said, just crious and all about's this project; How's the truck running for having done this, anyway's? ? ? [confused]

mr. Charles

. . . . Yo > > > > CHRIS ? ? ? ? ? . . . . .

. . . . .uhhh, hmmmm . . . . .>>>>> BUMP for here<<<<<< . . . . :hammer: ... :headbang: ... smilietease... :suspicious: ... :rolleyes: ...:icon_mecker:... :wasntme:...... 'toetap'

.....{ hmmm, too busy moderating these thar Thread's, eh? ! ? ?:beer: } . . . .

mr. Charles

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Whoops, didn't see this post last time. No I haven't called B&M yet. Had midterms these last couple weeks and too much truck work on the weekends. I'll do it soon cuz I've also got some other questions. I'll update you guys whenever I find out, I always do ;)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Finally called B&M to ask about that electrical connector on my shift kit...

At first the guy told me "Yeah on some of those late model transmissions its just gonna throw codes and theres not much you can do, cuz the computer doesn't like the alterations" (something to that effect). So I started to ask more questions and he says "hang on 1 sec"

Comes back "So I just talked to the head tech here and he said those electrical connectors are designed to work seamlessly IN CONJUNCTION with the shift kit. It shouldn't throw any codes" He stressed that the electrical connector should be used IN CONJUNCTION. Then he went on to say "If it's throwing codes I'd check what those codes are and then pursue those problems. Might be a big or a small fix, tough to say" (I'm giving him a little more grammatical credit... He didn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed)

So I told him "My truck threw no codes before the electrical connector. Threw codes after I installed it. Then codes stopped after I removed it. It's DIRECTLY related to the connector"

He says "Have the installer check their installation to make sure it's all good. That transpak is supposed to work on vehicles up to 97 without issues."

I asked if I should just use the kit without the electrical connector (as I've been doing for quite some time) and he didn't seem to think it was a very good idea... I was under the impression that the electrical connector was just used to ENHANCE the other alterations... I didn't think it was REQUIRED with the other alterations.

So I guess I'll just check the connections and make sure I got the right wires. I'm about 99.9% sure that I did (I had Chris on the phone with me when I was doing it and we were double checking each other on wire colors/positions). Perhaps if I could get that electrical connector to function properly it'll clean up my shifts a little bit since the kit DESIGNED to utilize it... I'll keep ya'll posted as I play with it a bit more.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts