Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Problem

I have a 1990 F150 w/ a 302 5spd. For some reason it has not been sounding like its normal self. There is an "air" sound while running. Like someplace it is forcing air out. I also noticed that when I turn sharp or hit the brakes hard, the oil pressure gauge drops like a rock to nothing and the check engine light comes on. There is too much oil in it, which I will alleviate ASAP. Why would the oil pressure drop like that? Especially with oil in it?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have a 1990 F150 w/ a 302 5spd. For some reason it has not been sounding like its normal self. There is an "air" sound while running. Like someplace it is forcing air out. I also noticed that when I turn sharp or hit the brakes hard, the oil pressure gauge drops like a rock to nothing and the check engine light comes on. There is too much oil in it, which I will alleviate ASAP. Why would the oil pressure drop like that? Especially with oil in it?
You don't have a plugged up exhaust, do you? The brakes are vacuum assist, and a plugged exhaust lessens the vacuum. Extra loads will cause a driveability issue, making the engine speed lower (lower speeds can also cause a low pressure light to come on.

I barely have an exhaust lol I do not see how it could be plugged up... It is a single cab truck and the xhaust only goes to the back of the cab lol With two glasspacks. For some reason at times it just acts like it does not want to run... The pressure gauge only drops when I make a sharp turn or hit the brakes hard, which it did not do previously.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I wonder if the connector to the vacuum line on the brakes maybe had one of the very small connections break. I doubt it would cause that much of a driveability issue though.

Ryan

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i think its a vacuum leak..

with engine running spray carb cleaner around engine and hoses if the engine rpm goes up where your spraying then narrow down and find your leak

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts