Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Priming 400 question? help please

How much resistance is normal when priming the oil pump on a 400? My 18 volt drill has a hard time turning it (counter clockwise) once the oil starts comming up. When I put it on the gear reduction it turns it ok but seems like the oil pump might be to hard?

It's normal. You're 18v drill won't keep up for long, You need a 1/2" electric drill or a good pneumatic drill with a lot of CFM.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^Agreed.

And I'll probably get a tongue lashing for this, but there have been a couple times where I've used my impact with neck down adapters and 1/4" extensions with the 5/16" (?) socket...with all the joints and socket duct taped together for added 'security'.

Cool. I thought about the impact but was not shure this was normal. I am glad because I didn't want to pull the pan if not needed. This is a ford rebuild with around 30000 on it. I changed the timing set did an intake & valve covers (since they were sold already) & want to drop it in this weekend to see how it runs.
John

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts