Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pressure Washing the Engine on the bump

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
heard they work pretty well.. just always worry bout mixing electricity and water + pressure...

No different than a spa or jet tub...common sense not to submerge the motor or shoot the high pressure directly at the thing.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'd say they're good for a homeowner. I would never had thought about thinking about using one at the marina, but I wouldn't mind one at home.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Yeah, I thought it would be perfect for around the house and on the rental properties.....cleaning walls and walkways and such. My main reason for the bump, but also thought it would good just to have one period.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
yeah, but if it starts to leak internally or something..... idk... im an optimist when it comes to our stuff... but the electric PW.... eh..... idk...

It's an induction motor....the chances of you getting a poke from it are slim..now on the other hand...if you are taking it apart, plugged in with water..then hopefully Mother Nature will prevail :D

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Yup, one of the things on my "Bump to do" list this summer. I actually bought all the material to convert and encapsulate the frame and axles from Eastwoods.....looking forward to doing this to preserve the frame long term as it will be my winter driver.

Bought that same stuff from Eastwood.com Ken. Think I got a quart of it. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but cannot wait to see if it is as good as Por 15

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Sounds good man. What about repaintin the engine and engine bay after you get it all cleaned up under there. Fresh Ford blue on engine and fresh semi or gloss black in the engine bay would look good.

Did I tell you guys the dude that worked on my tranny cleaned and painted my oil pan, gulp, BLACK!!!

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
once you get the big gunk off, try castrol super clean, it takes the rest really nice. Also spray it on rubber (tires, windshield gasket, etc), then pressure wash. You won't believe how black and clean the rubber will be. After, put Armor All tire foam on the tires, it is unbelivable!

I have never heard of the Castrol Super Clean. Someone here at work mentioned Purple Power. Had never heard of that either. I just normally always have a can or two of Gunk Engine Cleaner handy.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Bought that same stuff from Eastwood.com Ken. Think I got a quart of it. Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but cannot wait to see if it is as good as Por 15

The rust converter comes in liquid form to paint on with a brush or in aerosol and I bought both to see what would work good in tight places and such. My bumper had tons of little surface rust spots and just wanted to test it out and sprayed the rear bumper the other day, it was clear, so no visible effects. Yesterday, went to see it and WOW! The stuff is amazing.....it completely eradicated the rust in the cracks and everything....pretty amazing! It made a silver primeable surface. The encapsulator is just added protection to keep it from ever returning....I was truly amazed. Can't wait to try this stuff underneath this summer.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I need to look at getting that rust converter then. I have been using elbow grease and naval jelly.

When I took my dent to car shows last year, I noticed very little tiny surface rust creeping in the cracks of the leaf springs, which is common even in new vehicles.....it's been 9 years since the build was complete on my dent, so I noticed it as I exposed it to the elements for the first time in it's rebuilt life. The PO kept it indoors in a heated garage and never drove it in rain even. This stuff works perfect in those little spots....just a tiny spray of the converter, then hit it with the black (I'm using red on the bump frame and axles just to be different, but will look good as the truck is red and I just did the wheels with the exact paint) encapsulator and should never return. Pretty wild.

I've used the Purple Power to, it's real similar to Super Clean. I personally think Super Clean works better, and it's really amazing what it does to rubber. I also takes diesel off of the fuel tanks on my company truck, leaves the tank nice shiny white.

My first pressure washer was and electric one, worked great. When it finally crapped out, I ponied up and bought a gas powered 5 horse, 2500 psi. If you like the electric one, you'll love the gas powered job. I use mine around the house all the time, wash all my trucks with it, the patio, etc... It's invaluable when I get stupid enough to go muddin in my Bronco or Hi Boy (lots of clay around here). Also pretty awsome when you pull an engine, makes cleaning the engine compartment really easy, and you can really do a good job while the engine is out (hint hint Ken, you could really shine that thing up if you pulled the engine!).

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I've used the Purple Power to, it's real similar to Super Clean. I personally think Super Clean works better, and it's really amazing what it does to rubber. I also takes diesel off of the fuel tanks on my company truck, leaves the tank nice shiny white.

My first pressure washer was and electric one, worked great. When it finally crapped out, I ponied up and bought a gas powered 5 horse, 2500 psi. If you like the electric one, you'll love the gas powered job. I use mine around the house all the time, wash all my trucks with it, the patio, etc... It's invaluable when I get stupid enough to go muddin in my Bronco or Hi Boy (lots of clay around here). Also pretty awsome when you pull an engine, makes cleaning the engine compartment really easy, and you can really do a good job while the engine is out (hint hint Ken, you could really shine that thing up if you pulled the engine!).

Hahaha......I think I'm a ways away from that....but boy would I love to someday....it's in me for sure!!! :)

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC

The Super Clean is the Castrol product, right? Is it similar to Simple Green? Does it come in great big ole jugs?

I have an electric pressure washer I bought about 6 years ago. The only gripe I have about it is the fact that you have to keep up with the extension cord. That dang thing gets wrapped up with the hose and wand hose really easy...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The Super Clean is the Castrol product, right? Is it similar to Simple Green? Does it come in great big ole jugs?

I have an electric pressure washer I bought about 6 years ago. The only gripe I have about it is the fact that you have to keep up with the extension cord. That dang thing gets wrapped up with the hose and wand hose really easy...

The extension chord thing was kind of a bummer.....with a gas one, is there any maintenance? Or is it minimal like my gas leaf blower or gas weed wacker?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Ususally minimal...and they are 4 strokes...change the oil and use a fuel stabilizer if it tends to sit.
Edit...one other thing Ken...make sure that you are using at least a 14 gauge extension cord for the one you presently have...number one thing that kills electric motors is undervoltage.

Last edited:

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I had one of those HF electric pressure washers for along time at the concrete plant. It worked well for what it was, never had anybody shocked by it, it sat in the elements. It was used several hours of every day. One got dropped 2 stories (didnt survive) the other i dont remember what happened, i think it started leaking and trying to fix it the laborer broke it even more. Then we got a gas rig and that was the end of my hf pressure washers.

wareagle

War Eagle
Hickory, NC
Ken, have also heard that you can use regular ole hand cleaner on the steering rubber pieces to get em looking good. Haven't tried it yet though.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ken, have also heard that you can use regular ole hand cleaner on the steering rubber pieces to get em looking good. Haven't tried it yet though.

You mean, like the orange hand cleaner stuff?

Ford Truck Articles