Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pre-unleaded-fuel gauge cluster in a 1979?

Hi all,

My apologies right off the bat since this is probably an old question. I did some searching around here and found related posts but no direct answer to my question.

I'd like to swap in a gauge cluster from an earlier F series into my 79. I like the black gauge surrounds, 100 MPH speedo and the lack of the "Unleaded Fuel Only" label. As I have found in other posts, the connecter on my 1979 harness does not match the socket on the back of my older gauge cluster. (darned wishful thinking!).

Is it possible to do this swap without butchering the dash harness? I have a dash harness out of the same truck that donated the gauge cluster.

I would really appreciate any info, and if it's a lost cause, I'd appreciate knowing that too. I have above average hobbyist-level skills in modifying and restoring vehicles, but I am not interested in making a mess just to get the older cluster.

Thanks, Happy New Year.

Warren

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Aren't the gauge clusters just different depending on whether they had gauges or not?

Both of my clusters (pre-79 and the 79) are all gauge clusters but the connector on the back side is not a match. Also, the printed circuit is different, so a swap may be tough.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Both of my clusters (pre-79 and the 79) are all gauge clusters but the connector on the back side is not a match. Also, the printed circuit is different, so a swap may be tough.

I've never really looked at the wiring diagrams enough to determine the differences, I'm gussing from what I have seen that it wouldn't be that easy.

There are 14 pin and 18 pin connectors due to Warning Lamps versus Gauges

ClusterConnectors1978.jpg

In 1979, you have 2 choices using factory installation

The connectors changed physical size sometime between 1978 and 1979

What is the number on the printed circuit ?

Do you have a low fuel economy light ?

PCBoardCorroded2.jpg

Last edited:
What is the number on the printed circuit ?

The number on my original 1979 printed circuit is D6TF10C956

The number on the cluster I'd like to use is D3TF10C956 AA

Do you have a low fuel economy light ?

I don't have a low fuel economy light but I can see a provision on the printed circuit for a bulb at bottom center of the cluster. Would that be where a low fuel economy light would be located?

In looking at the two different clusters, it occurs to me that maybe I can just swap out the black gauge bezel for the stock silver one. It looks like it is attached to the cluster body with screws. That would satisfy my desire to have this project truck look and feel more like my original 1978 that was stolen so many years ago.

I certainly appreciate the knowledge of the members here and their willingness to share it with others.

Thanks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I do have the full wiring diagrams for the 79's....I'm just having a crappy time trying to scan them as they open up to nearly 36'' and if I try to get it all on one page, the resolution drops to where you can't read it...I could email them if you want...let me know.
This post has some good info with the diagrams on how the different systems are wired:
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29167

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just as an aside, what would have triggered this light??? Never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Low vacuum...aka your foot on the throttle :D

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I performed this swap on my 79....I used a 77 warning light cluster along with the 77 cab wiring harness and related components (my harness was hacked up,missiing the cluster plug mind you)..Ignition switch,heater control plugins are different from the 79..along with the nuetral safety switch which is column mounted on the 77,Trans mounted for the 79...since i went to a floor shifter the nss was wired to it...Hope this helps clarify the matter.

Last edited:
Just as an aside, what would have triggered this light??? Never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

It was vacuum actuated from the manifold if it sucked too much fuel the light would go on

I performed this swap on my 79....I used a 77 warning light cluster along with the 77 cab wiring harness and related components (my harness was hacked up,missiing the cluster plug mind you)..Ignition switch,heater control plugins are different from the 79..along with the nuetral safety switch which is column mounted on the 77,Trans mounted for the 79...since i went to a floor shifter the nss was wired to it...Hope this helps clarify the matter.

That is the only way one can have this option

1977 parts including harness..basically a step backward

The number on my original 1979 printed circuit is D6TF10C956

The number on the cluster I'd like to use is D3TF10C956 AA

I don't have a low fuel economy light but I can see a provision on the printed circuit for a bulb at bottom center of the cluster. Would that be where a low fuel economy light would be located?

In looking at the two different clusters, it occurs to me that maybe I can just swap out the black gauge bezel for the stock silver one. It looks like it is attached to the cluster body with screws. That would satisfy my desire to have this project truck look and feel more like my original 1978 that was stolen so many years ago.

I certainly appreciate the knowledge of the members here and their willingness to share it with others.

Thanks.

One has to have all the 77-79 clusters and wiring harness connector to visually assess them.

The size of the connector changes for the Gauges clusters

The warning lamp cluster on a 79 is different as well

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It wasn't triggered by too much gas but from low manifold vacuum that ocuurs when the throttle blades are opened wider....:D

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I had an 83 with Economy warning light....it was on at 55....thanks alot 4.11 gears.

It wasn't triggered by too much gas but from low manifold vacuum that ocuurs when the throttle blades are opened wider....:D

Okay Too Much pedal..same thing IMO

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
OKay then.........

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts