Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Powerstroke VS Gas??? Got to replace truck

Ive got to replace my 03 6.0 PSD....I was in an accident and I think that the insurance company may total my truck. I am a huge fan of the prior to 08, body style...however I am not a huge fan of the cost of diesel and the maintenance of the powerstroke these days. Within the last 80 days I just replaced all of my injectors, the fuel pump, and glow plugs. This kinda has me turned off of the 6.0PSD but I love that year model. I dont tow a lot so that is not a concern....Should I go gas??? Suggestions please.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have a 2005 which I've had since new. There is no question that when things go bad they are far more costly than the gasser, I just put $7600 into mine.

Having said that, that was the first time that I have to put anything into it since day one other than regular maintenance.

I'm getting 19.5 imp mpg out of mine and I would not go to gas, I've accepted that they are more costly to keep than the gassers, but the benefits for towing outweigh the $ concerns...for myself anyway.

DNFXDLI said:
I have a 2005 which I've had since new. There is no question that when things go bad they are far more costly than the gasser, I just put $7600 into mine.

Having said that, that was the first time that I have to put anything into it since day one other than regular maintenance.

I'm getting 19.5 imp mpg out of mine and I would not go to gas, I've accepted that they are more costly to keep than the gassers, but the benefits for towing outweigh the $ concerns...for myself anyway.

Yeah I just dropped $4000 In the last 80 days and I only have 130000 miles on it. Thanks for the info

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Mileage for me was 65k when that happened, although to be clear, $4200 was the leaking bedplate gasket..the rest being egr delete, head gaskets, tuner to clear CEL was my preventative choice.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Simple answer- find a decent '00-'03 7.3 PSD and call it a day. Or buy a V10 and just suck up the gas mileage. Make sure it's a 3V, or there's that pesky head issue too.

Then there's Plan B- new 6.7.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Simple answer- find a decent '00-'03 7.3 PSD and call it a day. Or buy a V10 and just suck up the gas mileage. Make sure it's a 3V, or there's that pesky head issue too.

Then there's Plan B- new 6.7.

7.3's are not immune....I could write a book on our 550.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I have the 2v V10, gas mileage with 37s is 9mpg, not the best, better then my 95 F350 with a 5.8 and tons more power. Im not a fan of the 6.0, we work on em all the time at my job, and when something goes wrong, its usually everything. The 7.3s are solid, with almost no issues from all the ones we work on. Gas is the way to go if you dont need the Diesel power.

Ok...I'm looking at 06 and 07 6.0 models, anything that I should be looking for, good or bad?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My understanding of those years is that they pretty much had all the bugs worked out.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
As bad as everyone pretends that the 6.0 and the 6.4 is, they are still better than GM or B series cummapart. How deep is your wallet everytime you fill up? What do you even need a 3/4, 1ton, 1 ton dually for in the first place? Answer those 2 questions first, and we can help you make a better informed decision.

If you decide to buy a 7.3, carry a couple of extra CPS (cam position sensors) and an extra automatic trans and the tools to change it out. If your looking at a manual, make sure you put $2k worth of clutch and pressure plate in it first.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Once again we agree Ryan, all the guys I know that run the 6.0's have really had minimal issues.
The mine where a good buddy works runs a pile of them, surprisingly with minimal issues.
I think the bulk of the problems reside with people trying to make 1000hp and/or people that are very vocal with a perceived issue.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
That and the fact that Ford out sold GM and Dodge with almost 50% of the light diesel market share, who did you think was going to have more issues? Last time I checked, math and percentages have not changed.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts