Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Powering steering going bad...

So my power steering seems to be acting up. I am looking for a replacement pump. I was going to purchase the original pump but if there is a better upgrade pump for this truck I would like to know what that is and what's required. I have a 1978 f150 4x4 with the 400 motor running 35" tires. I do off road this truck too if that matters.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Which pump do you have? I think there were a couple of different models used on these trucks.

Might be worth flushing and replacing the fluid as well if you haven't already.

4fbbf514a43858ed8ffe0ccc5e749bfe.jpg

Not sure here is a photo.. Fluid has been replaced in past couple times. I think its just time for new pump.

I had replced mine about 6 years ago on my bump ,but I just bought
a reman. from Napa ,cant remember the cost ,but so far its holding
up with out problems.
I did have to use my old pulley though as the new don't come with it!..:)

Do you guys know if theres an upgrade one I can use that's better? I been reading a lot on a cardone 20-6244 that seems to be a popular choice for this truck but it's a really old part number, doesn't exist anymore.

I know lots of 4x4 shops recommend replacing them with a GM pump. I believe due to slightly higher pressure and flow.

I just reworked mine when I took the truck over and used a factory pump out of the junk yard. No issues yet, but i'm not working it to hard. I am running 36's though.

personally i think that pump is a great pump, but thats just me. i think there a bit more robust then the gm Saginaw pumps even if there rather noisy.

anyways just make sure to run atf in them.

Yea I been hearing good things about red head boxes..

Looks like I will be going with an econoline saginaw pump. Sounds like a good upgrade choice.

Ford Truck Articles