Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pops and cracks in front end

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
your trans crossmember is loose. raise the trans enough to take the weight off it, loosen, then tighten the trans crossmember, then set the trans back down and tighten it. what you are hearing, as far as the pop goes is the crossmember flexing when the frame is racking.the poping travels through the trans, and will cause you to spend a lot of money on the front end parts

Last edited:

wayfastxr

California Chapter member
It happened to me

So here is one chris. I kept here'in the funny crack and pop from the front end . The front tie rod ends wear fast with this lift and a x-wife that loved to go lock to lock with the 35's while stopped. Anyway the output shaft on the power stearing box was cracked. It let go at Red D trans shop while parking. Lucky on that one.........but that sound is gone now..........

wayfastxr

California Chapter member
Lets try this

Pic's of the output shaft........
dsc0002jy.jpg
dsc0001by.jpg
Thanks Chris

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Chris, you still having trouble with that beast???

I can fix it for ya, just bring it here and give me the truck and $50 and I'll buy you a bus ticket back home!!!YelloThumbUp

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Holy crap! Nice carnage. Dayum I have nightmares about mine splitting like that while i'm doing 80mph down the freeway. Guess that probably wouldn't happen because I wouldn't be cranking the wheel hard.

And Robert-- keep dreaming. A for effort though!

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Chris,

You sure it's in the front? I got the "old age" pops in mine too, but mine will do it rolling on flat concrete or running over large crushed rock, forward or backward, turning or going straight. I just don't know WHEN it's going to do it. I've tried EVERYTHING I can think of to make that noise repeat itself. Clutch in, clutch out, in gear, coasting in Neutral, nothing seems to matter. It is so random, I can go across 3 RR tracks, and it may pop on the 1st track one day, the 3rd the next day, or the second any other day. The next day, I can be driving down perfectly smooth brand spankin new pavement, and all of a sudden, POW! Scares the crap outta me sometimes, but I'm kinda getting used to it now.

Like you, I've done the CM procedure, and on top of that, I've had my transmission out twice since this started, and there is NO difference. I've inspected the frame rails front to back, and nope no cracks. None of the rivets look loose. Nothing looks like it's moving if it isn't supposed to, and everything that looks like it should move looks like it does. No oil on the shocks like they're leaking. I know for a fact my truck has never been wrecked because I've owned it since it had 16 miles on the odo.

That noise is VERY annoying, for sure.

I'm sorta zeroed in on the rear spring bushings, though. I have nothing to make noise in the front end, really, but when mine pops, I can feel it in the floor boards, and it feels more like it's under the cab. If it did it when cornering or going through a dip or something like that, I'd be suspect of RA bushings. But the front end is solid, well lubed, and shows no significant wear at all. Being 2WD, it's all highway miles on my truck (155K), so the front end never took a serious pounding anyway. Everthing about the suspension and drive train on mine is still original except the front shocks and brake pads. So, I may have a shock with a sticking valve or something. The noise seems to go away after the truck gets warm and I've driven a few miles. I'm guessing engine heat is either expanding something or softening something up to stop the popping noise. And it is LOUD!!!. Scared the missus half to death one day when she was by the driveway and I was backing out. The bed seems to be amplifying the noise, so my guess is it's back in the rear suspension somewhere. There's just nothing visible that I can point my finger at. I have NO intention of taking the entire *** end of my truck apart to find a noise that refuses to give me some physical evidence after nearly 5 years.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
has anyone mentioned outer U-joints at the front axle? you said it is when you turn, I know they are not engaged in 2wd but they still have to flex when the wheel is turned....
Not a bad thought. But the pop is much too loud and strong to be a u-joint in my opinion. Plus it normally has to do with the suspension flexing too.

Popping on low-speed turning/parking lot stuff is classic ball-joints...

Although thats true, on these trucks, the stabilizer bushings in the front if the get loose or what have you will sound EXACTLY like a bad ball joint..

Also, check your pitman arm.. those get noisy.. and check the "turn buckle" (thats what my manager called it today).. holds the tie rod eng in place, when those are loose, they make some NASTYYY sounds, not to mention you risk lossing the tie rod end

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts