Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pontiac gets the go-ahead

What I want is one of those Ford of Australia 400+HP 3.9L I6 engines (based on the same arch as the legendary 300). :cool:

That would be boss.

I like the pontiac btw. Looks like the G8 with a pickup bed. I dont see why Chevy doesnt make an El Camino version, while pontiac makes a Trans Am out of the camaro... it doesnt seem that hard...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I like the pontiac btw. Looks like the G8 with a pickup bed. I dont see why Chevy doesnt make an El Camino version, while pontiac makes a Trans Am out of the camaro... it doesnt seem that hard...

IMO, two, fundamentally identical, models won't sell very many more copies than one model, but badging it as a Chevy and tapping into El Camino nostalgia would probably have been a smarter move than what they're doing.

What I want is one of those Ford of Australia 400+HP 3.9L I6 engines (based on the same arch as the legendary 300). :cool:

That would be boss.

The 4.0L DOHC turbo puts out 270KW (about 360HP) compared to the N/A 5.4's 290KW (about 390HP)

Please school me on how the 4.0L DOHC is related to the old 4.9L pushrod truck motor.

The 4.0L DOHC turbo puts out 270KW (about 360HP) compared to the N/A 5.4's 290KW (about 390HP)

Please school me on how the 4.0L DOHC is related to the old 4.9L pushrod truck motor.

Both engines date back to the 240ci (3.9L) car and truck 6cyl from the 60s and 70s. In the truck line a longer stoke was added thus creating the 300 (4.9L).

In the cars however the technology was taken in a totally separate direction towards high tech improvements and general evolution. This included a migration towards SOHC technology, which was eventually replaced with 24v DOHC cylinder head (the 4.0L "barra").

To answer your question: Call them distant cousins.

Eh no... The 2nd gen lightning had a blown triton 5.4

Whoa there Nelly......How did the Lightning get into this conversation???

I've read and re-read that post and I could swear that he was intimating the Falcon Ute used a blown 5.4.

As I'm sure you already know, the Lightning 5.4 was the SOHC 2 valve mill.

The Falcon uses the DOHC version.

Last edited:
Both engines date back to the 240ci (3.9L) car and truck 6cyl from the 60s and 70s. In the truck line a longer stoke was added thus creating the 300 (4.9L).

In the cars however the technology was taken in a totally separate direction towards high tech improvements and general evolution. This included a migration towards SOHC technology, which was eventually replaced with 24v DOHC cylinder head (the 4.0L "barra").

To answer your question: Call them distant cousins.

I'm not sure the car motors (170-200-240;) are related to the agricultural 7 main bearing 300.

But yes, I'll agree the Falcon I-6 is related to the car I-6's you mentioned.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'm not sure the car motors (170-200-240;) are related to the agricultural 7 main bearing 300.

But yes, I'll agree the Falcon I-6 is related to the car I-6's you mentioned.
240 & 300 introduced in 1965. The full sized Ford's used the 240 thru 1972, but never used the 300.

The 144/170 I-6's have 4 main bearings, the 200 & 250 have 7.

240 & 300 introduced in 1965. The full sized Ford's used the 240 thru 1972, but never used the 300.

The 144/170 I-6's have 4 main bearings, the 200 & 250 have 7.

Do you mean the 250 and 300 have 7 main bearings???

Either way, the I-6's from Oz do NOT use the prone to whip at high RPM and friction laden 7 main crank.

Last edited:
Blown is also Todd's engine....
AFTER the turbo and LPOP fragged.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Sorry DOHC, but I agree with Ryan here... I always knew a blown engine to be SUPERcharged... Not just forced induction in general.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts