Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

plastic gas tank info

Hi I'm going to replace the 33 gal gas tank in my Bronco.I'm leaning towards using a plastic tank.Any buddy have any draw backs with the plastic
Thanks

Anybody ?

No problem .... Plastic tanks were installed by Ford.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I recently put one in the rear of my 79 F250. Direct fit, easy install. The best part.......the reason that I changed it, PLASITC WON'T RUST! That's why I went with one. It'll last forever.

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
Might check your local exhaust shops. If you plan on running duals some shops wont do it if the pipes will run near the tank. Atleast here in IL..

Fellro

Staff member
They are pretty durable, but still can be punctures, but not likely fixed if it should happen. Ground problems to the pump/sender are other problems.

Fellro

Staff member
Yes, but they sometimes lose such ground. Fixed a few of them for just that reason... Many pumps have been blamed for the failure when the ground connection was what was failed.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
The ground topic is interesting, I never even thought of it. I've had my tank in about 6 months and haven't had one issue with the gauge or otherwise.

If I did have a problem, running a short ground wire from the sender to the frame wouldn't be hard at all.

78BroncoFueltank.jpg

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
If you have a good ground to the frame, there shouldn't be any problem there. Plastic tanks are pretty durable and would think that it's a good alternative. And yes, they won't rust.

Fellro

Staff member
Well how do they get them to ground good on factory plastic tanks?

See, that is the trick, I have dealt with the factory ones that lost ground... Usually are fine, but they like to play tricks some times. I didn't claim that they all have that as a problem, it is just a consideration.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
See, that is the trick, I have dealt with the factory ones that lost ground... Usually are fine, but they like to play tricks some times. I didn't claim that they all have that as a problem, it is just a consideration.

Oh! sorry, I think I misunderstood what you said.. :D sorry.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Another thought for the plastic tanks is...everyone I've ever pulled with thoughts of re-using...the straps that held the tank in caused a good bit of wear and the tank always leaked from the wear spots after the re-install. That said...I find that problem to occur about as often as a steel tank rusting through.

Fellro

Staff member
Installing is basically just like putting in a steel tank, with a little more attention to the prior mentioned ground wire to be sure it is there. I'd add skid plates if they aren't already there myself.

Side note on plastic tanks, always hated them at the yard because we had no way to get rid of them, not allowed to stay on the car, and no source to sell or give them to for recycling... Also, had a plastic tank on the Dodge I stripped to get the Cummins from...

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Another thought for the plastic tanks is...everyone I've ever pulled with thoughts of re-using...the straps that held the tank in caused a good bit of wear and the tank always leaked from the wear spots after the re-install. That said...I find that problem to occur about as often as a steel tank rusting through.

Possible. I used new rubber belting between the straps and new tank. But really biggest reason I could see a tank wearing through on the straps would be if the straps aren't tight and the tank is allowed to move.

FYI - The front tank in my 79 250 is a factory plastic unit and since I've owned the truck (about 8 years) I've never had one issue with it.

Fellro

Staff member
I don't think the factory put one in back then... it likely got added over the years. I have never come across a plastic that old, they were all steel until into the late 80's as far as I know...

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I'd be willing to bet that it's factory.

Where's Dennis when I need him! haha

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts