Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Plastic eye on hydraulic clutch rod

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
97 F250 HD, 2wd, 5.8, 5 sp
The rod that goes from the clutch master cylinder to the clutch pedal is steel, but the eye at the end where it hooks to the pedal is plastic. Twice I've had the eye break on me. Just curious if this is a common problem or is it just my luck. The second time it happened, instead of replacing it again, I welded a section of a bolt to the steel part of the factory rod and a couple of washers to that, so it would make an all steel rod and eye. I don't think I'll ever have that problem again. It ain't pretty, but it works.

clutchrod1.jpg

clutchrod2.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Not an uncommon problem- my friend with the '95 F-350 has had it fail on him a couple times.

His pedal problems ran deeper than just that piece, though...I think the whole assembly got bent/worn somehow. I know I remember seeing the pedal assembly in his scrap heap.

Other fun symptoms on that truck were the clutch pedal needing a little help from your toe to return all the way to the top, and pressing the clutch to the floor not moving the safety switch far enough to start the truck. (We rode around for months where the only way to start the thing was to reach up under the dash and activate the safety switch by hand- or park on a hill. Good times.)

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My safety switch did that. I bypassed it lol

Your truck must not have cruise, then?

Anyway...I dug back in the email files a little bit. Most of what I heard of his repairs came through his wife, so it's a little vague, but his final repair seems to have been "replaced the brake clutch level pedal crossover arm assembly, the master clutch cylinder, he rebuilt
the slave cylinder.
" The next day, she reported that it was shifting better than it had in years.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Nope, no cruise. Basic work truck. Born without a/c even. Came with a fancy am radio. I didn't know they even still existed in 97

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts